Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How far do you walk? >

How far do you walk?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How far do you walk?

Old 08-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Default How far do you walk?

Ok, I've read topics on how far do you drive to your hunting spots. Mine concerns how close to your stand(s) do you park your truck/ATV.

Though I could park closer I prefer to park my truck a good ways from my hunting areas. On an average I walk about a 1/2 mile to my stand sites on private land. Longest is about 1 mile and closest is 1/8 of a mile(small woods).

Public land depends where I go....anywhere from 2 miles to 1/2 mile at the local state conservation area.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How far do you walk?

How in the world do you drag a deer 2 miles... I grug one once about 1/2 mile and litterally drug the fur off his !@#
Old 08-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bow hunt all private, so I don't have to walk just to far. I would say about 300 to 400 yards. I have see guys pull right up next to their stands. Who knows what they were thinking?
Old 08-23-2007, 03:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt private land but it's rural. I park just outside the deers world at the edge of homes and buildings. I'm able to get within 300 yards of my best stands without fear of alerting the whitetails I'm hunting even though I may very well be closer to the deer than my stands.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:59 PM

It really depends on where I hunt. As far as parking, I try to blend in with the "locals". One of my spots I hunt I need only to walk about 300 yards. Some spots it's over a mile....
Old 08-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Site Bouncer

On private land I will walk anywhere from 200yds (closest stand) to 1/2 mile (furthest stand). On public land I've walked many many miles up and down the Rocky Mountains when I was in college. Now I'll travel in a few miles on public land, further if I have an exit strategy planned (someone to help me drag out my kill)
Old 08-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a little farm I hunt on and I pull my truck right in the field that the deer come out into... One evening as I walked back to my truck there were 4 or 5 deer within bow range of my truck... I should of just sat in the bed of my truck... So it wouldnt surprise me to see guys pull there atv's up under ther stands
Old 08-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

My main spot is a 20min walkfrom where I park. It seems to be a bit further than most guys want to go, at least in my area.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

1/4 to a1/2 mile. My truck is in view most of the time, but well outof the way of any deer travel.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

How in the world do you drag a deer 2 miles... I grug one once about 1/2 mile and litterally drug the fur off his !@#
[quote]ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

I've never one drug 2 miles...I couldn't handle it. Fortunately I've never shot one in this certain spot, only would if it was a bruiser buck and I might add the local warden would let me take an atv in as close as possible to retrieve it. My private land areas I can drive closer to get the deer, I just prefer to walk in farther.

Quick Reply: How far do you walk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.