Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Climbing Sticks or Screw In Steps? >

Climbing Sticks or Screw In Steps?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Screw In Steps
27.87%
Climbing Sticks
72.13%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Climbing Sticks or Screw In Steps?

Old 08-22-2007, 10:18 PM
OGW

Default RE: Climbing Sticks or Screw In Steps?

Climbing Sticks are simply much easier! Put 2 sections together and you strap them to a tree and you've got 8 steps..takes about what..1-2 minutes tops?You can have 16 or 20 feet high of Sticks done before you've got 4 steps screwed into a hardwood like a Maple[&:]
I have used screw-in steps on those trees that are in the perfect spot and are less straight but only on private land with the owners permission.
If you do decide to use the screw-in steps either buy or make something like this because it really does help get them in alot faster:

Old 08-23-2007, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

I used screw in steps for a while (Cranford are the best, IMHO). But they are a LOT of work, and I sweat like nobody's business, so not good for scent control if you're hunting the same day you're screwing (no comments, please). If you're hanging permanent stands or if you want to put in permanent steps and carry just your stand and bow with you when you hunt, then steps can work great. But thiscan get expensive if you want to hunt many different trees, which I think is a good idea to keep the deer from patterning you. Also not a good option on most public land. Also, steps can rattle agains each otehr while you're getting to your stand (Cranford has some rubber coated ones that help this and are great in the rain).

There are some inexpensive climbing sticks, but they tend be much heavier than the Lone Wolf climbing sticks that I prefer. I use 4 independent non-interlocking sections that will get you 15'+ up in the air in almost any tree. They weight 2.5 lbs per section, have a 350 lb rating, fold up and spoon with each other to carry very compactly and quietly. The mounting strap they use works equally well right or left handed and the toothedbrackets swivel to fit almost any tree condition. The steps on the stick also can swivel either right or left, for more flexible usage. they aren't cheap, though: $144 for 4 sticks. IMO worth every penny because the Lone Wolf guys are briliant engineers who really think through their designs.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Spike

I use both.... but prefer my climber.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

I will NEVER, NEVER use screw in steps again. My oldman had one he was stepping on break, he swung into the another step that was in the tree and it stabbed him under the armpit. Doctors said it missed his lung by about 1/4 inch.
I know that climbing sticks fail too, but those screw in steps can be dangerous. Everyone be careful! especially those who use those screw in steps.
He was lucky, my mom & I were in the woods w/ him when it happened so he had help right away and got to the hospital quickly, well if an hour is considered quickly..

Old 08-24-2007, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

The results here surprised me. I would never have thought that people would favor climbing sticks about 3 to 1. It makes sense though, especially if you don't want to put steps up for others to use if you have a bunch of stands up. Think I'll pick up some sticks and maybe another stand and get to hanging!
Old 08-24-2007, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I voted for Climbing sticks because there all safer, and easier to put up.. It may be hard carrying them threw the woods but like i read below he just puts his on a game cart (excellent idea i never thought of that).
Old 08-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Banned

Climbing sticks HANDS DOWN. Lone Wolf is the ticket, I have tried them all. Gorilla had some on the market that were basically identical and I use 2 of them along with my 3 LW's but I understand that Gorillas were taken off of the market due to copyright infringement. Anyway, I recommend 4-5 LW climbing sticks to get you to any desired height.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:54 AM

Climbing Sticks......they don't damage the trees like screw in steps, I think they are a lotsafer, and much easier to set up.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:01 AM

I've used both but now it's sticks forever. I use the Summit Swiftree stick. Your boots won't slip off the side if they're wet.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Banned

The swifttree by summit isd awesome if you are looking for a connecting climbing stick, I agree. I have one and the safety of the enclosed foot is a great feature. Only drawbacks are that they are heavy, cumbersome to carry through the woods, and only work on straight trees.

Quick Reply: Climbing Sticks or Screw In Steps?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.