Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New property, help? >

New property, help?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New property, help?

Old 08-22-2007, 07:46 PM

Default New property, help?

Got permission to bow hunt some new property in southwestern PA. I am new to reading the aerial and topo maps. Any pointers would be very helpful. Here is a look at the aerial map. Do you see any spots that i should look into more?
http://maps.yahoo.com/beta/#q1=Beaver%20Falls%20PA%2015010&mvt=h&trf= 0&lon=-80.386947&lat=40.853338&mag=1
Old 08-22-2007, 07:54 PM

Default RE: New property, help?

Hey guys i also have permission to hunt the property across the street to. Take a look.
http://maps.yahoo.com/beta/#q1=Beaver%20Falls%20PA%2015010&mvt=h&trf= 0&lon=-80.383927&lat=40.866901&mag=2
Old 08-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

why dont i make things easier and just take the property across the street....you wont have to worry about it
Old 08-22-2007, 07:56 PM

To be honest I couldnt really tell nothing from the map . How many acres is it? You find and good trails? There anything planted in the fields ?
Old 08-22-2007, 08:01 PM

The first farm just has animals as pets but it is 88 acres. The farm accross the street is many more,and there is a lot of beans and corn, i mean a lot. I was just able to get out one night at the field across the street and walked the edge of the fielding looking for places where the beans had been eaten the most. I sat on the edge of the woods and a nice eight point came out probably 110 or so and fed into the beans.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

It is hard to tell from the maps just what area you are talking about for sure. I would suggest sitting on the edge of the field across the street and scoping out what deer are coming in, where from, and where they go. You've already spotted an 8 pointer....watch him and his pattern. Then set up your stand and try to ambush him. Walk around the property and find the game trails. Set-up close to one of them as well.

Good luck
Reid
Old 08-23-2007, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the help, Reid. The only problem that i have is the fields are corn and beans and they are planted in alternating rows and it is hard to view a lot of the property. I am planning to go out this weekend and field some of the major trails and draw them in on the maps and revaluate.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its time to invest in a couple trail cams. The 35mm's are pretty cheap now.

These will go a long way in showing you what is there.

Although deer's patterns start changing early in the fall as food sources change, the cameras might give you an idea of where they hang out and when for the early part of the season.

Being I'm from SW PA, maybe you could show me the property and I'll help you figure them out.[8D]
Old 08-23-2007, 10:32 PM
Typical Buck

Well not knowing anything about the property, these are some places that I would check out. What would help is after you do some scouting, make a sketch of some trails you notice as well as other things, foot paths, atv trails etc. Then using this photo, put them on it and show us.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:19 AM
Typical Buck

Ron has highlighted some promising spots. I'd also take a look at the very back of the field that has the far left circle drawn at the end. That would look to me to be a good place for deer to move the length of the property withminimal exposure.

GH

Quick Reply: New property, help?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.