Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ethical shots

Old 08-23-2007, 06:10 AM

Default RE: ethical shots

I would personally not take a 60 yard shot on a deer or any other animal. Would probably be able to make it on a 3D target. Last year I shot a doe at 35 yards. Within that distance/time it took my arrow to reach her she did a little over a 180 turn and I ended up shooting her in the butt, was sick as I watched her walk off with my arrow in her butt. She only went about 35-40 yards out of sight and expired. Way too much can happen within the distance/time of a 60 yard shot that cannot be controlled.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

Nuge4 President!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2007, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Finding a ethical hunter is like finding ahonest politicanI'm sure there are a few honest politicians in the world I would bet my life that 90% of the people on this forum would take a 60 yard shot at a B/C buck if that was the only shot they had and they really felt that that was the last time they were going to see that deer

When hunters start talking ethics I just wisper under my breath "yea right"

Old 08-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

I am not quite sure what you are saying Valor10. Do you think the blood trail would be any less on a clean pass through at long distance than it would be up close. On my three long kills the longest blood trail was 75 yards and the shortest was 35 yards. Obviously, I recovered all three of them.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

It will be if the deer takes a step and you put one threw the pounch... Oh What a minute... I'm sorry... Your the guy that was chasing the 3-D circite... That wouldn't happen to you... My Bad
Old 08-23-2007, 08:46 AM

I am going to get murdered for saying this, but this is the deal. Out west people shoot long long distances its part of the game. I have personally killed a mule deer at 72 yards with my bow. I have seen others such as Scott Haugen and Jim Horn take out a deers/elks/proghorns heart at 90 plusyards. If you are comfortable with the shot than take it. If not don't. I practiced and practiced for about 8 solid months of nothing but shots over 60 yards. I felt that the 72 shot was something I could make and I did. Double lung went 80 yards and was dead. Its all about your personal limits.... Some people can't take shots over 25 yards some 35. While others can take it to 90 plus.

Say what you want, and I expect to get **** for this but the deal is a lot of eastern hunters don't realize that out west there is a lot of open country. You are not hunting the hard woods where 20 yards is the most you will ever take because of the density of the woods.

Just my two cents.

Good hunting!
Old 08-23-2007, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

I am not quite sure what you are saying Valor10. Do you think the blood trail would be any less on a clean pass through at long distance than it would be up close. On my three long kills the longest blood trail was 75 yards and the shortest was 35 yards. Obviously, I recovered all three of them.
Well, I've had clean pass throughs on 30 yard shots, and not found a drop of blood on the ground for another 30 yards. Being able to see the deer a ways after the shot has helped me pinpoint the blood trail. If I took a 60 yard shot, and it got 30 yards before blood hit the ground, that's 90 yards. I'm lucky to see 50 yards in the woods I hunt. That's possibly 40 yards that deer is running and I have no idea what direction. Finding that blood trail might be tough.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Question: What would be the difference in flight time between some guy shooting a heavy arrow from a selfbow at 150 fps at 30 yards vs a guy with a hot rod compound shooting 300 fps at 60 yards?

Answer: So close to being exactly the same as to make no difference.

In this situation, both of these hunters are taking exactly the same amount of risk that the deer might move before the arrow gets there. If the 30 yard shot is an ethical risk, then the 60 yard shot must also be ethical.

The remaining factors are accuracy, penetrating power and the conditions of the shot. If you can't shoot well enough to KNOW you can hit that 60 yard shot, it's not ethical. If know your arrow doesn't retain enough downrange energy to get the job done at 60 yards, it's an unethical shot. If you aren't reasonably certain you are capable of making the shot under the conditions present at that exact moment, if there is any doubt whatsoever, it's an unethical shot.

Whether or not a shot is ethical always boils down to the exact conditions at that exact moment.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:57 AM

i'll say that i am joking before i make my statement, if you can only see 50 yards why are you taking a 60 yard shot.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

Say what you want, and I expect to get **** for this but the deal is a lot of eastern hunters don't realize that out west there is a lot of open country. You are not hunting the hard woods where 20 yards is the most you will ever take because of the density of the woods.
I would say that's an excellant point.

Quick Reply: ethical shots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.