Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Trailing deer. Things you should have with you. >

Trailing deer. Things you should have with you.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trailing deer. Things you should have with you.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Trailing deer. Things you should have with you.

a gps unit and know how to use it.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not to mention, you're showing everybody where you hunt because you can't get there without a marked trail.
On public land in Missouri where we have the family hunt, we have to mark our stand locations and paths with flags/tape. That's the established way (at least there)to let someone else know there's someone there already. Very few things on public land suck as much as being on your stand bright and early opening morning and seeing someone else walk in to their stand 100 yards away.

Back to the original subject, what would I take with me to trail a deer I'd shot? Someone else who isn't colorblind.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

I have heard of using peroxide before, but I don't know how it works. I am sure someone could help me out here.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

These are some great ideas. The water, and the gps are really good. You could use it to mark waypoints as you proceed.

Shane
Old 08-21-2007, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I keep a Coleman lantern in the hunting vehical. Nothing better than it except the sun for following a blood trail.
The lantern is the BEST light source for following blood trails in the dark. SO muchbetter than any battery operated light on the market.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Howler

I keep a Coleman lantern in the hunting vehical. Nothing better than it except the sun for following a blood trail.
The lantern is the BEST light source for following blood trails in the dark. SO muchbetter than any battery operated light on the market.
I have a battery operated Coleman. I will give this a try this year if tracking in the dark, never even thought about using one.

Shane
Old 08-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

Blaze Orange ribbons for the last spot you track to,if you must leave and pick the trail up the next day
Old 08-21-2007, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

Toilet paper works good too.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: bob d

this is a pet peeve of mine , if you use something to mark your trail with be kind enough to remove it when your done , bugs me when i see it just left in the woods
I take those pieces of survey tape (non-biodegradable)with me when I see them in the woods. As far as I'm concerned, that's littering.[:'(] Not to mention, you're showing everybody where you hunt because you can't get there without a marked trail.
i am like you every time i go into a new piece of property i end up coming out with my pockets full of others trash
Old 08-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anything I have ever used to mark a trail is picked up on the way out period. No ifs, ands, or buts. I agree, hate when people leave crap laying around in the woods.

Shane

Quick Reply: Trailing deer. Things you should have with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.