Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

3 blades or 4?

Old 01-04-2003, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 3 blades or 4?

Are broaheads that have 3 blades any less effective then a 4 blade? I believe with good shot placement, it won't matter. So does it really matter?
Old 01-04-2003, 11:35 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-04-2003, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: 3 blades or 4?

Shot placement is the correct objective. If I am using fixed blade, I use my 100gr 3 blade Thunderheads, if it is mechanicals, than I use 100gr 2 blade Snypers.

The best of luck in all your hunting endeavors!!!

God Bless,
Dave
Old 01-04-2003, 12:53 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-04-2003, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok thanks guys. I'll stick with the 3's for now, maybe next season I'll try the 4's just to see what they are like.

Happy hunting to all, and to all a good night!
Old 01-04-2003, 05:11 PM

Pa,
a friend of mine uses 3 blade muzzys but he ran out this year and had some 4 blade muzzys so he made the nessasary tuning adj. went hunting. he shot 2 deer and threw the 4 blades away, says we just was not getting the penatration with the 4's that he got with the 3's.

Old 01-04-2003, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jimmya sort of hit on something. Take Muzzy heads. compare the 4 blade and 3 blade 100 grn heads. The three blade penetrates a hair better, but the 4 blade makes a real hole. In the 125 wieght the 3 blade penetrates enough better as to make a differnce on some animals or shots. On the other hand the 4 blade truely makes a hole you need to see to appreciate! Neither is more effective than the other, but for best preformance you need to match the head to your setup and what you want the head to do.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 01-04-2003, 07:25 PM

I prefer the 4 blade Muzzy. First of all, on whitetails, I feel the penetration is a non-issue. Complete penetration is complete penetration regardless of the number of blades, and I've had such success with both. Also, as 5-shot said, the four blade cuts a nasty hole.

Hunt the thickets
Old 01-05-2003, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Although some may disagree with me, over the yrs. I have found a 3 blade head easier to tune. The 4 blade may contain one extra blade for cutting but due to the necessary configuration and that extra blade, that extra blade may also hit or nick rib, therefore slowing the head down and affecting penetration. Just my opinion.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been a Bowhunter 45 years now & a past Pro Shop owner (2 shops with lanes). I guess I have tried almost every Broadhead ever made up until recently. I have exclusively Bowhunted Biggame with the Rocky Mountain Razor 3 blade-125 gr since it was put on the market in the 70s. I have always preferred a 3 blade over 4 or 5 or 6 blades. Even if you are shooting sufficient poundage for the multiple blades you seem to lose a little accuracy OR one will fly funny at some time or another. 3 Blades always fly true-at least that has been my experience. My entry & exits are more than sufficient & my blood trails are good. Past year animal blood trails Elk 100 yds., Deer 40 yds., Deer 70 yds., Hog 50 yards. No tough blood trails-all good & the hog was hit in the hips-pass thru both & stuck in the ground.
I have always felt a 3 blade flys true. With expandibables now I have 2nd thoughts-I have witnessed several lost animals so feel I will never go to them. My thoughts are-the more moving parts your equiptment has (in the field) is just that many more things that may cause you to MISS.

always thankful

Quick Reply: 3 blades or 4?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.