Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!! >

Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!!

GregH, thanks. After I killed my first with a bow, I stopped hunting with a gun. It just didn't do anything for me when I killed using a gun. To me, if it is easy, it isn't an accomplishment. I just enjoy sitting in a tree with my bow! I have been fortunate to be in the right place at the right time.
Go to the Taxidermy section of the forum and"your best mounts" thread. The 2 deer I spoke of are inthe lastpost on page 9. The deer to the left of my elk and the deer to the right of my elk are the two. I couldn't pass them up. Page 10 is more of mymounts. Trust me, the little ones mean just as much as the big ones!
Old 08-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

Personally I'm going to try to hold out for at least a six point. There's so many deer there it's sick. Does are going to be all fair game. QDM should be changed to QAM (quality antler management)
Dude, do you ever read any hunting magazines, specifically any articles by Dr. James Kroll? You were going along good until you blurted out the QAM thing.

You're going to hold out for a 6 pointer? You hunt in the 2nd best county for P&Ys in the state and you're holding out for a 6 pointer??? What's wrong with this picture? I hunt in Lake and McHenry counties and Lake has more mature bucks in its herd than anywhere I've ever hunted in 40 years! Exercise some patience and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're going to hold out for a 6 pointer? You hunt in the 2nd best county for P&Ys in the state and you're holding out for a 6 pointer??? What's wrong with this picture?
there are still a few of us out there who dont hunt to shoot big racks. If it happens, good, if not, it doesnt ruin our hunting seasons.

I personally hunt because its fun, I like being outside, I love deer meat, and it gets me away from work. Since I only get to hunt my best property once a week, and if I have a doe in range, I'll gladly take her. Then again, if a 1.5 year old buck comes by, I'm also going to take it, because I garuntee that I wont be able to taste the difference between a 1.5 year old buck, or a doe. I really dont get off on big racks, and I personally think this whole QDM fiasco is ruining hunting - making it a rich mans game, and belittleing other hunters because they dont want to hold out for a 150" buck.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Greg, I hunt in Clumbia County Wi most of the time. It's A herd reduction zone and they give you 4 tags a day for free!. I want to put something on the wall at my buddy's cabin. It's not like I only get to shoot one,and according to the DNR I'll be doing a public service. At last count they have over 45 deer per sq. mile,this includes all the ag land. I don't think I'm hurting anything. BTW it would have to be a big 6
Old 08-19-2007, 04:08 PM

- making it a rich mans game, and belittleing other hunters because they dont want to hold out for a 150" buck.
[/quote]

QDM is not a rich mans game, anyone can play to some degree. I am 16 years old, been doin qdm for 2 years on the property i hunt and it works. We dont own the property, i dont spend any money i wouldnt spend if i wasnt into QDM, and i still acomplish my QDM goals. So how is this a rich mans game?
Old 08-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

QDM is not a rich mans game, anyone can play to some degree. I am 16 years old, been doin qdm for 2 years on the property i hunt and it works. We dont own the property, i dont spend any money i wouldnt spend if i wasnt into QDM, and i still acomplish my QDM goals. So how is this a rich mans game?
Since this whole QDM thing really took off, land prices have skyrocketed, outfitters have come and made a lot of the land unhuntable to the general public, etc, etc. Before QDM, there was only a few areas that were really noted for their outfitters/guides/etc (texas, pike county, buffalo county, WI.)
Old 08-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JoshKeller

You're going to hold out for a 6 pointer? You hunt in the 2nd best county for P&Ys in the state and you're holding out for a 6 pointer??? What's wrong with this picture?
there are still a few of us out there who dont hunt to shoot big racks. If it happens, good, if not, it doesnt ruin our hunting seasons.

I personally hunt because its fun, I like being outside, I love deer meat, and it gets me away from work. Since I only get to hunt my best property once a week, and if I have a doe in range, I'll gladly take her. Then again, if a 1.5 year old buck comes by, I'm also going to take it, because I garuntee that I wont be able to taste the difference between a 1.5 year old buck, or a doe. I really dont get off on big racks, and I personally think this whole QDM fiasco is ruining hunting - making it a rich mans game, and belittleing other hunters because they dont want to hold out for a 150" buck.

You have a great point Josh. Do you have a problem when fish and game place a length limit on bass? Its done for the quality of the bass. It works with deer to if enough people subscribe to it in the area or it is forced upon them.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

QDM is not runing hunting, we are

Josh it is a two way street we can not have the TDM(Traditional Deer Managemnet) of the past. Having areas of way over population will be the end of hunting as we know it also.

I think there is middle ground, both sides need to let down their guards and listen

Old 08-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Site Buck Guru

The area I'm talking about, you're lucky to see a 6 pointer because most 1 1/2s are 8 points. Taking a 1 1/2 buck in Lake county is about the same as shooting a doe. Why not stretch your hut a little past the 1st week and see what happens? As long as it's legal, I don't care what you shoot.
But with the amount of does you can and should shoot, along with the plentifull supply of mature bucks, why not wait abit and see what happens?
Old 08-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

seeing as how I can take 3 bucks, and something like 7 does, I generally take what I can, because deer meat doesnt last long in my house. I dont get to hunt as often as I would like, and I take advantage of any oppertunity that I can get to tag a deer for the freezer - whether its a doe, 1.5 yr old buck, mature buck - it all taste the same to me.

Quick Reply: Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.