Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Laundering hunting clothes >

Laundering hunting clothes

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Laundering hunting clothes

Old 08-19-2007, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Laundering hunting clothes

I have a routine for washing my hunting clothes I think makes sense. I use the dryer so I feel the sequense is important to remove odors from the machines.
1) I first wash several of the towels I will use in baking soda and then put these into the dryer.
2) Next I wash all my base layers with scent free detergent. and dry.
3) finally I wash the outer layers. By this time the dryer and washer are relatively scent free.

A final thought. I usually put on my outer layers when I reach my hunting spot and wear scent free sweats to get there. So why on a lot of TV shows you see the hunters all dressed in the lodge and cabins with their bows and all get into their vehicles and drive to their spots? I don't get it. They're having breakfast and drinking coffee etc.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Laundering hunting clothes

I have my own washer and dryer in my garage to wash "my stuff."I wash towels several times with scent free detergent, then my clothes.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

i get fully dressed
and eat, and whatnot, i dont follow the scent free rules as most, i still kill deer, maybe if i was more carful i would kill more who knows..
Old 08-19-2007, 12:31 PM

So, you actually change clothes AT THE STAND?? Brrrrr......Doesn't that spread scent around?
Old 08-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

I have a routine for washing my hunting clothes I think makes sense. I use the dryer so I feel the sequense is important to remove odors from the machines.
1) I first wash several of the towels I will use in baking soda and then put these into the dryer.
2) Next I wash all my base layers with scent free detergent. and dry.
3) finally I wash the outer layers. By this time the dryer and washer are relatively scent free.

A final thought. I usually put on my outer layers when I reach my hunting spot and wear scent free sweats to get there. So why on a lot of TV shows you see the hunters all dressed in the lodge and cabins with their bows and all get into their vehicles and drive to their spots? I don't get it. They're having breakfast and drinking coffee etc.
Because what these guys do on TV isn't real world hunting. JMO.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

No I change clothes outside the truck or outside the cabin. On the really cold days I have my base layers on under my sweats.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:39 PM

I do everything I can to control scent.

Laundry with scent free soap, Scent Shield.

Hang dry outside. Place in tough totes with a garbage bag over the top before putting the lid on.

Bath with Scent Shield hair and body soap, hair and body deodorant Scent Shield.

Never wear the same thing twice in two days including my cool/cold weather coats, hats, and gloves...have plenty of them.

Cover the seats of my truck with plastic bags.

Put my clothing on outside of the truck before heading to stand.

I like Scent Lok...so don't flame me. I feel it works combined with my scent control regiment.

Never wear my hunting boots anywhere other than when hunting. Not even in the truck while driving.

Spray scent killer on before walking to the stand and again when I'm in my stand.

Wear latex gloves deploying scent and wear them climbing my stand.

Touch nothing going to or coming from my stand.

Trim my entrance and exit so I don't brush against anything going to or from my stand.

Piss in a bottle and carry it out with me when I leave my stand.

Haven't figured out what to do when I fart![:-]LOL
Old 08-19-2007, 08:52 PM

you & most everyone out there wont belive this those tv guys are hunting deer on game ranches & private property they stink & so do there cloths relax & drink a beer let your wife wash them & dry them put them in a bag with leaves from yourstand tree then drink another beer wake up the next morning & go hunting &( play the wind dude play the wind !)
Old 08-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: brokin arrow

you & most everyone out there wont belive this those tv guys are hunting deer on game ranches & private property they stink & so do there cloths relax & drink a beer let your wife wash them & dry them put them in a bag with leaves from yourstand tree then drink another beer wake up the next morning & go hunting &( play the wind dude play the wind !)

hehehehe I wash them myself but pretty much agree.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:19 PM

Dr Andy, dont forget the lint filter. Be sure to empty it and spray it down with no scent. Especially if you are going to activate scent lok in it. Also wash your stuff quickly after you have de=scented the washer. I have found that they get musty if they sit overnight or longer. There is always unseen water in the drum. What do you expect from a guy named Stinky.

Quick Reply: Laundering hunting clothes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.