Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What the heck are folks thinking? >

What the heck are folks thinking?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What the heck are folks thinking?

Old 08-19-2007, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What the heck are folks thinking?

I would just love to know where a person gets the high-falootin' idea that a deer has the sense to figure out where bad breath is coming from? It is no different than any other smell that is strange to a deer. So why do you think this is the most important orifice to keep from stinking? A deer is a curious animal as has been proven over and over. The main thing is keeping the main thing the main thing. And that is, never allowing the deer you are hunting to associate your smells with danger. ie., Movement, carelessly flinging arrows, clinking noises form bows/stands. If deer already associate your smell as danger "just instinctively", then why will they come directly under your stinkin stand at night and take a dump or make a rub/scrape? I am not talking a week or even 2 days after you were last there. I am talkin the night after you had an evening hunt in the same stand. This kind of thinking has got me thinking that camo/concealment has to play a way more important role in getting close than does scent control.

OK, enough for Sunday morning. If you feel impelled to wring my neck, well, ok.[:-]

LT
Old 08-19-2007, 07:40 AM

Default RE: What the heck are folks thinking?

i aggree
Old 08-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Spike

I agree with your opinion. I think though that the concept regarding scent is to be scented in the first place, not to change odor to an attractant. Could you imagine Estrous gum.[:'(]
Old 08-19-2007, 07:51 AM
Spike

oops. I meant to say, the goal is not to be scented in the first place.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

In thick cover the ones that scent you from downwind, you'll never see. Being scent free along with good camo and quiet stand habits will just get them closer. Remember the whitetails nose is it's first line on defense. On the subject of odor, human odor including mouth odor is very offensive to them, we smell like predators. Other odors,smoke,gas etc,are foreign to them but may be associated with humans or not depending on their experience with these odors.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

On the subject of odor, human odor including mouth odor is very offensive to them, we smell like predators.
Who trained a deer to pick out the smell of a humans mouth/body odor as being a predator? Has a "normal" human ever physically attacked a deer as a predator would? Do deer feel the breath odor of a squirrell, rabbit, hog, beaver, ect., is threatening to them. All animals have breath odors. How do deer decipher which ones are a legitimate threat to them?

LT
Old 08-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Predators (carnivores) have a distinct odor. This has been instilled in the der through millenia. We as hunters are predators,probably the deers#1 predator and they are fast learners.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:46 AM
Spike

If you have ever changed a babies diaper after a meat meal vs vegetable, the difference is unmistakeable. I would presume mouth odors would have similar distinction. Although the deer, if it smells you, doesn't know you are a human, it also doesn't know if you are a wolf, bear or other carnivore. Either way, it'll likely raise tail.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I just try to be as scent free as possible... I've heard that brushing your teeth with baking soda eliminates bad breath,but I've always just used my regular Colgate Total tooth paste and never had any problem... of course, I'm 17 foot in the air also. [&:]

Has Hunters Specialties/Scent Killer made a scent free toothpaste? If they havent, maybe they should. [8D]
Old 08-19-2007, 09:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

LT, I somewhat disagree. All the smells associated together, breath included, hell there are people whose breath I could smell from downwind and I'd run too...

Anyway, are not bird dogs trained to smell the breath/exhale of birds? ? I heard that once, I do not know.

Anyhow, number one I feel is our hair....just smell the inside of any one of your worn baseball hats....Breath being next, all other odors can be all but eliminated as far as I'm concerned using the modern technics.

Breath, cannot totally be eliminated or barely masked can it?

With a deers nose being, what is the percentage?, better than ours and if we can smell another human....damn, poor deer....we stink. [&:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.