Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What the heck are folks thinking? >

What the heck are folks thinking?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What the heck are folks thinking?

Old 08-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: What the heck are folks thinking?

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

Chew parsley! It helps.
Parsely is for wabbits, silly human!
Old 08-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

A deers eyes might fail them, but their nose never will. If their eye to mind perception was as good as their nose to mind perception we would never kill one.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

A deers eyes might fail them, but their nose never will. If their eye to mind perception was as good as their nose to mind perception we would never kill one.
That's gospel!
Old 08-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

That's gospel!
AMEN!
Old 08-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Dominant Buck

It harbors the most bacteria that emits the odd odor that the deer are alert to.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

On the subject of odor, human odor including mouth odor is very offensive to them, we smell like predators.
Who trained a deer to pick out the smell of a humans mouth/body odor as being a predator? Has a "normal" human ever physically attacked a deer as a predator would? Do deer feel the breath odor of a squirrell, rabbit, hog, beaver, ect., is threatening to them. All animals have breath odors. How do deer decipher which ones are a legitimate threat to them?

LT
Older deer are older because they are aware of the unfamiliar. Its not the idea of bad breath =danger sign, its the idea that the odor is one that is not suppose to be in the area, so the deer stear clear. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:04 PM
OGW

LT, It's about business. To have a secure business you "Find a Need and Meet that Need". To start a new business where one did not exist before theres a different slogan: "Make a Need, Make a Product to Meet that Need, Tell PeopleThey Need What You Have".
I think we all get caught up in alot of Hype from time to time in our desire to outwit a Whitetail. We want to believe that we're doing everything possible to tip the scales in our favor so we Buy,Buy,Buy!
I also think when we start depending on something other than our skills in the hunting woods we becomewilling victims.
If a product has even the slightest chance of increasing our odds while hunting...someone will market it, someone will buy it, and someone will swear thier success was based on it.
Some of the products out there today have made people more successful but I have a question:
Why were so many very nice deer killed before any of these products, specificallydesigned to catch hunters dollars,became availible???
IMHO...Hunters were in the Right Place at the Right Time.
Amazingly enough they had no "Camoflage","Gum-O-Flage", or "ScentLoc Clothing".
Could it be true they figured out how to get it done without all these things? YES
Could these new products help people who dont have the time to put in scouting or figuring out deer patterns? YES
Which group spent more money..but had the same success????
I've bought and use Camo and Fresh Earth Scent because I believe it helps me blend in better than without. My Dad however never used these things because they were not availible...but he killed deer just the same.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:31 PM

plan your entry right & your wind right then you can stink to hi heven i know cause i stink & still kill the big ones ( on public land ) c-ya
Old 08-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know this scent/commercial stuff can get carried away. But I'm kind of with Rob/PA on this one.
We all know people who almost kill you just by talking to you from 2 feet away. Your sitting
there trying to not let your eyes water up trying to be polite and not make a face.

If you are exhaling every five seconds you are putting a lot of "scent" out there. That sweat on
your body might be covered by a couple layers of clothes, but your breath is going right out there.

I also agree that as meat eaters our breath is different. Maybe they haven't learned
it is human, but there instinct may say to run.

They do make that gumoflauge stuff. Can't say I've tried any. All I use is baking soda toothpaste.
Maybe we should all be loading up on Beano.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I feel a certain product will give me an edge over hunting deer I will buy it and use it,there are some products out there that are usless in my opinion.....besides if someone doesn't buy C'mere Deer hows Hank gonna pay to do his show and go hunting? [:@]LMAO