HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Do you think Scent Lok is a must? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/202779-do-you-think-scent-lok-must.html)

brown_boy09 08-18-2007 07:53 AM

Do you think Scent Lok is a must?

I was just wanting everyones opinion on the use of Scent Lok and if you think it is a must for Whitetail Deer hunting. Personally myself I do not have Scent Lok but that is prolly just because its too much money for it.
Thanks!

Kanga 08-18-2007 07:57 AM

RE: Do you think Scent Lok is a must?

No I dont think it is a"MUST" for deer hunting.

I dont use it, never have never will and I see plenty of deer within bow range.

neb 08-18-2007 08:00 AM

No and you can have as much sucess as the guy that uses it.

BullRider115 08-18-2007 08:02 AM

Definitely not a must but, take care with your field clothes. Contain them as scent free as possible, use some cover scent of something in your area, i.e. if you hunt the oaks use acorn spray, pines use pine scent etc. etc.Always try to hunt where the wind is not blowing into a bedding area, although this is not always easy or possible.

Good luck out there this season!

partsjay 08-18-2007 08:05 AM

nope....but it will help....I personally don't, because of the cost, but baking soda has always worked well for me.

Paul L Mohr 08-18-2007 08:20 AM

I don't even think you need it, let alone it being a "must have". It may help some but there is no way it eliminates your scent.

People used to kill deer without camo, let alone scent loc clothing.

The first deer I killed it was 75 degrees outside and I was wearing black jeans, a camo T shirt and a baseball cap. And I was only 13 feet in the air in this skinny little tree. The deer had absolutely no clue I was there until I shot one of them. I don't believe scent is your biggest enemy, I think its movement and noise.

Paul

BowKnutt 08-18-2007 08:21 AM

For a while I thought I needed me some of that stuff--You know the pros all swear by it--And it probaly works as good as they say--But I'm like ya'll the cost keeps me away!!Years ago hunting in AL--takin 2 showers a day- Keepin my clothes in bags with pine needles,oak leaves--you get the point--No deer kills----Now my buddy I think he wore the same clothes for days,said he didn't take a bath killed 2 nice bucks--1 nice8 point-and the bigest 6 point i've ever seen!!
GO FIGURE!!

Arthur P 08-18-2007 08:27 AM

Not only do I not think it's a 'must', my honest opinion is it's (meaning ALL carbon-type scent blocking clothing) a mostly a rip-off. Only thing that keeps if from being a complete rip-off is it's usually good quality clothing and decent camo. It just costs considerably more than other good quality, decent camo.

Rhody Hunter 08-18-2007 08:30 AM

no not at all i think it is a waste of money

Rickmur 08-18-2007 08:32 AM

Waste of money

Bullet Hole Bailey 08-18-2007 08:36 AM

I dont think its needed.

nvshooter 08-18-2007 08:37 AM

Don't want to Hijack the thread, but I have to ask a related question?

If you do not use Carbon clothing, how often do you wash your outermost layer when hunting?

I plan on washing the innermost layers everyday.

MOTOWNHONKEY 08-18-2007 08:44 AM

I wash mine before every hunt. I have lots of camo and always have a fresh batch for each hunt. I think clean clothing is key. Yes scentlok is a Must. You MUST not waist your money on it.

sid828 08-18-2007 08:47 AM

I agree! Ever wonder what a deer actually smells? I was always lerry of cover scents. We hunt in the ceders. The best cover scent in the world in the ceders, is ceder. I take those ceder berries and rub them from head to toe. I smell like a Christmas Tree in the blind. Never have been busted by smell. Movement yes!

Sportsfann 08-18-2007 09:46 AM

ORIGINAL: sid828

I agree! Ever wonder what a deer actually smells? I was always lerry of cover scents. We hunt in the ceders. The best cover scent in the world in the ceders, is ceder. I take those ceder berries and rub them from head to toe. I smell like a Christmas Tree in the blind. Never have been busted by smell. Movement yes!
I do agree with you, but you never had a deer snort-blow at you?

TeeJay 08-18-2007 10:02 AM

nope

Tribal 08-18-2007 10:05 AM

My personal opinions is it's a waste of money. All I have read into this and the research done leads me to believe they are taking your money. If it floats your boat and you feel it works wonders then that's all that matters. I have haddeer right down wind, under and in my line of wind and for whatever reason they never winded me.Never had any carbon clothing on.

And this season on Dream season and North American Whitetail I saw bucks smelling guys out 40 yards from their trees that were wearing carbon clothing. I am sure they were using it to manufactures directions.So you decide for yourself if you want to spend that much dough on clothing that don't hurt to have but please don't give into the line "Forget the wind, just hunt".

It won't work like that.

kdsberman 08-18-2007 10:36 AM

Helllllllllll no. Scent Lok is such a ripoff and waste of money. It does no good for you when your deer hunting.

burniegoeasily 08-18-2007 10:43 AM

Never used it in my life, and probably never will. That is, unless someone just gives me a set. I dont care what you have done to get ridof scent, if you are not playing the wind right, you will get busted by the good deer. I saw it last year. A buddy of mine had the whole set of scent loc cloths and undercloths, and was busted everytime he didnt play the wind right. So to me, its just a waste of money.

burniegoeasily 08-18-2007 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: BowKnutt

For a while I thought I needed me some of that stuff--You know the pros all swear by it--And it probaly works as good as they say--
The pros use it because scent loc is one of their sponsors. Other than that, I bet they could care less.

robbcayman 08-18-2007 10:46 AM

I will echo what everyone else is saying RIP OFF!!!!!! Why not buy the $10 scent spray, use odor free deodorant, scent free toothpaste and mints, detergent, put your clothes in a scent free rubbermade after doing those preps and play the wind??? This is much cheaper, and works better than that scentlok stuff IMHO.

burniegoeasily 08-18-2007 10:48 AM

ORIGINAL: nvshooter

Don't want to Hijack the thread, but I have to ask a related question?

If you do not use Carbon clothing, how often do you wash your outermost layer when hunting?

I plan on washing the innermost layers everyday.
For me, it depends on the weather. If ive been sweating a lot, I wash after every hunt. If it has been cold and i have not been sweating much, my jackets, etc. might get washed less often. But im like you, I wash my under clothing every time I come in from the field. I like to keep several pair in my containers, so I can hunt several days in a roll, and simply rotate them.

burniegoeasily 08-18-2007 10:55 AM

One last thougth on scent controle. Last year I was at one of our many campouts. These campouts arent very hunting friendly because we set around making noise all day and drinking beer. Needless to say, I get reall stinky at campouts. Well after two days of stinking, I decieded to grab a bow and see if I could find a doe. I went out, in leather boots, non the less, and tagged a nice big old doe. Play the wind is the only way to go.

lungbuster12point06 08-18-2007 11:04 AM

Not a "must".......playingthe wind correctly is a MUST! But in bowhunting it's all about confidence,if you feel more confident spending your hard earned money on a "magic" suit then more power to you. I think by managing your scent with regular hunting clothes and playing the wind correctly you will see more deer and have more shot ops. Keep your scent off the ground on the way to and from your stand and you will see deer all season.................don't waste your money on scent loc.

nodog 08-18-2007 11:12 AM

Stuffs junk. Don't buy it.

JeramyK 08-18-2007 11:22 AM

I use Scent Lok. But I don't think it's a "must have" item. There are days I go into the woods without it and I still see deer.

Follower 08-18-2007 12:35 PM

Great replies. I always like reading replies that lead you down the road of spending less money. Seems like a lot of the time the latest and greatest is what people are saying (maybe just marketers)you need to have. Nice to hear that good ole skill, and wind direction attention is what mainly gets it done. I have been firearm hunting for many years, and just getting into bowhunting. With firearms, even shotguns, didn't really worry about scent to much. Thanks.

MidwestJ 08-18-2007 03:55 PM

Indians never used scent-lok and they killed plenty of animals with their stick, string, and homemade arrowheads made of stone.

Myself...I have seen and killed plenty o deer without scent-lok. However, as I grow a bit older and am blessed with an good paying job....I have bought into the scent-lok thing.

GMMAT 08-18-2007 04:15 PM

Indians never used scent-lok and they killed plenty of animals with their stick, string, and homemade arrowheads made of stone.

No....but don't fool yourself about the indians and scent control/camo. They didn't wear face paint and rub mud on themselves for sport. They knew the mud concealed their scent....and the paint camo'd them.

There a few camps on scent-lok. In one camp you those who have never owned....WILL never own it.....and have no first-hand knowledge with it.....but know enough to tell you it's crap. You have those who don't own it.....will never own it....and wouldn't pay what they're asking for it.....so they, too, will bash it.

Then.....you have guys who think it does.....or even "might" give them an edge. I happen to fall into the category of the latter. I think it "might" give me an edge. I shop around, too.....and I don't pay NEAR full price for it. And...like someone else said....if nothing else...it's quality camo.

I care for it; store it; and use it as a PART of my scent control regimen. it's just a part.

I put it on.....and I go kill deer with it. How can you tell me it doesn't "work"? And....if I paid less than you did for your non-scent-lok camo (hell I heard of a guy paying $600 for a suit, last year that HATES the mention of scent-lok).....who's laughing, now??

I have NEVER understood why people want to bash this stuff. Just don't buy it!

Dr Andy 08-18-2007 04:36 PM

I agree with Jeff, It's just another piece of the puzzle.

mobow 08-18-2007 05:02 PM

I am surprised at all the negative responses.....Either the folks that use it and trust it are unaccounted for today, or not as many people use it as it seems....

I will have to admit it's not a MUST have.....but neither is camoflauge, honestly. Rubber boots? Nope. Treestands? Nope.

If the old addage "Hunt the wind and and it doesn't matter" is true, why do those same people take showers with scent free soaps and scent free laundry detergent? If all that matters is the wind, none of those are necessary either.

Scent Lok alone will not suffice. It's got to be used as part of your overall scent control SYSTEM......

MILLERTIME10 08-18-2007 05:19 PM

Never been busted by smell......that you know about.;)There are a lot of people out there that have been busted many times over by deer that never knew were in the country.

I don't think it is a must, but I do believe it helps out. Anything that can help just a little, is a plus in my books!!

BowHunterJim 08-18-2007 05:22 PM

ok lets think about history, Did the indians have scent lok? did the servive? were they not the greatest hunters on earth?

GMMAT 08-18-2007 05:35 PM

ok lets think about history, Did the indians have scent lok? did the servive? were they not the greatest hunters on earth?

No....but they practiced a form of scent control.

Yes....some of them survived.

No. They were not the greatest hunters on earth.

mobow 08-18-2007 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: BowHunterJim

That logic isn't even.......logical. The Native Americans didn't have ANYTHING we have now.

Diesel77 08-18-2007 05:55 PM

I think it does help some but I also dont think its a must. Most of my camo isnt Scent Lok, but I do have a few clothes that are. If you are hunting an area where you dont know which direction the deer will be coming from and cant hunt any particualr wind, then scent control plays a much bigger role than hunting the wind. I try and set up my stands in a particualr hunting area so I can hunt multiple stands depending on the wind just as an extra precaution. I use scent control sprays more then scent control clothes, its just cheaper. I think your breath puts out way more scent than people think, its your own permanent Breath Bomb. Stand in front of any of your buddies face for 3 or 4 hours and let me know the results lol. If you can smell it a deers built in scent labratory can smell it a long way off. I also dont think its a rip off by any means.

Germ 08-18-2007 07:35 PM

ORIGINAL: MILLERTIME10

Never been busted by smell......that you know about.;)There are a lot of people out there that have been busted many times over by deer that never knew were in the country.

I don't think it is a must, but I do believe it helps out. Anything that can help just a little, is a plus in my books!!
MillerTime Amen brother Amen

Arthur P 08-18-2007 08:06 PM

Here is a photomicrograph of cloth from a piece of high end scent blocking clothing. The black specks are the carbon. Look at it and think of how much scent the carbon actually catches... and how much has to get through it.

Germ 08-18-2007 08:21 PM

The above picture is taken by a person with a site dedicated to smearing scentLok.

The above person also tried to take a bribe from scentlok. Arthur I have about asmuch faith in the picture as i do in the Govener here in MI;)

The bribe part is on his website, so I did not make it up, LOL. Not saying to use;)it or not, nor believe in it. I just can not stand people with agenda's. I have use Scent-Lok in the past, but I find some of the silver base clothing easier to use. Fact in 2007 I will not have a suit with ScentLok. Because I feel other products are better, if ScentLok makes a product better than what I am using, then I will buy it.

Here is the quote from the guys site. Sorry I won't use the persons name;)

I was informed on May 2, 2007, that in their most recent Patent re-exam, Scent Lok accuses me of trying to get them to bribe me to not post, talk about or write about my proof that their product cannot work as they claim. The truth of the matter is that I did try to get them to bribe me, in either an e-mail or a signed letter, so that I would have proof of their willingness to bribe me, so I could expose their tactics to the public. I never intended to accept a bribe from them.
I came up with the idea of trying to get them to bribe me after Mike Andrews (of Scent Lok) made the following statement to me: "We look forward to having you as one of our biggest supporters in the future." I took that as an offer to compensate me if I would no longer comment on my beliefs about how their product could not work as they claim.
Here is what I e-mailed Scent Lok on May 2, 2007

I love the bold part:D Good choice Arthur;)

Arthur P 08-18-2007 08:39 PM

Germ, ufortunately the photo is posted without any source, so I can't say who made the photo and neither can you. This is just one of several different but similar photos I have seen on the internet but this is the only one I can find still up. I haven't seen a rebuttal, either in photograph or print, from any of the manufacturers to dispute it. If you have a link to such, please post it.

This photo IS on T.R. Michels' web page, but I would expect him to make use of this kind of photo to support his point of view. Also, he discusses the 'bribery attempt' on the same page. I really don't want to jump into the war between Michels and Scent Lok. It's raging along quite nicely without me anyway. ;) But since you brought it up, here's the link to his page.

http://www.trmichels.com/ActivatedCarbonScience.htm