Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Guided hunts vs Private and Public land >

Guided hunts vs Private and Public land

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Guided hunts vs Private and Public land

Old 08-18-2007, 05:21 AM
Bartender

Default Guided hunts vs Private and Public land

Do you think Guided hunts have a distinct advantage over the other 2?
I feel no doubt on Public and on the fence for the other.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:26 AM

Default RE: Guided hunts vs Private and Public

Let's ask Mr. Longbeard.[:-]

Old 08-18-2007, 05:29 AM
Bartender

Long night lost me dan
Old 08-18-2007, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't get the question. You can be guided on both public and private land.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:41 AM
Bartender

Is their a advantage?
ORIGINAL: early in

I don't get the question. You can be guided on both public and private land.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, there's an advantage to it if you don't know the land or the habitsof theanimals that live on said land.I use a guide when I hunt in Alberta for that very reason. Not to mention that you MUST have a guide to hunt Canada if you're a non-resident. These guides can get you on some AWESOME private farms as well.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would certainly think that using a guide would increase your liklihood of taking game.That's their profession,what you are paying for is for them to put you on game.If you hunt with a reputable outfitter your liklihood for success should be the greatest,they know the area,they know how the game use it,they have been scouting and they should have a pretty good sense of what an area holds.
You would think that private land would be more productive than public but that isn't always the case.Depends on where it is and how hard the hunter is willing to work to get to it.Where land is easily accessible private would logically be better.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are in a totally new area, or you are pursuing a game you have never gone after before, I think a guide is not only a huge benefit but almost a necessity.

You won't catch me out in WY or NM going after elk all by meself.... I don't know from anything about them, or about horses... or bears or any of that sort....
Old 08-18-2007, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Guided hunts vs Private and Public land

During last years bowhunting contest I know of two contestants that went on outfitted hunts and they produced some 365-370 inches of antler between the two hunts.

About the Public and Private aspect.... I enjoy hunting our Public land a lot.... In fact I have hunted public land more than private the past two seasons. I like the fact that some of the areas are so large you can go near anywhere, if you aren't afraid to walk you can and will get away from the crowds..... I cannot get away from the crowds here at home on our small chunks of private land....Hunting public land isn't like hunting our cookie cutter 30-100 acre farms that are 80% fields. You can actually scout an area out and hunt what you feel most comfortable with. You want to hunt beds, funnels, mast crops etc you can find them and setup on it..... On the small private chunks you are stuck hunting what ever is on the piece of property that you have access to. A lot of time you don't have many options on the smaller private chunks.

[/align]
Old 08-18-2007, 06:44 AM
Bartender

Default RE: Guided hunts vs Private and Public land

It does seem that on public others keep the deer moving more during gun season and less slow days.

Quick Reply: Guided hunts vs Private and Public land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.