Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Any Myles Keller fans out there? >

Any Myles Keller fans out there?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any Myles Keller fans out there?

Old 08-13-2007, 10:40 PM

Default Any Myles Keller fans out there?

Would like to hearresponses to how we feel about the State of the Bowhunters Union to date. Below is my feelings. Would appreciate your thoughts.

I was reading stories and hearing stories about Myles from the 70's and followed his accomplishments closely. How as a blue collar Hwy worker in MN, was taking some enormous Whitetails & Bears. All while working as a working class civil servant.

I have been a Baseball fan since as long as I can recall watching baseball. I recall watching I think the 65 World series (Yankees Vs Cardinals) when I was 7. Bob Gibson striking out 17 Yanks in the World Series. As a boy & growing up I idolized Mantle, DiMaggio, Gehrig & Ruth. I still do. Although I am still a fanatic 49 y/o baseball fan today, I find it hard to really like the players of this age of $$, arogance, steroids and everything else. But I love the game, still.

Like baseball I idolized bowhunting figures like Keller, Dick Idol, Roger Rothar. When I began shooting a long bow & recurve in adolescents I joked while shooting my bows, as hitting my target as Myles Keller. Although I still am deeply passionate about Bowhunting I've lost the same thing in our great tradition as I lost in my love of baseball in the good old days. It use to be that you felt like you could share a soda or beer with the baseball players of the 60's, and before. I felt that way about bowhunting greats of the 60's and 70's too.

Some years later I came to meet the Legend Myles Keller now as I was an adult & during an industry show, after one of his ASL Cancer research benefits he devotes time & resource too. After seeing one of my Giant 8 pointer's (155"), we spoke thru the night over some cold one's and ate too. We've been friends and confidants since. To show what a class act he really is, at one point I had an awesome Iowa farm, I invited Myles over to scout and hunt if he wanted too. He came and spent hours scouting there with me. He said he did not want to hunt, as he did not want to ruin my chances, despite seeing in his words some of the best Big buck sign he ever had. I was hunting an 8 pointer that would score in the 180's!

I came to learn that he is honorable, decent and trustworthy. His in field skills and insight are second to none. Quite, humble but all the instincts to get it done, while not making himself appear to be all about him.

I just think that now days our great tradition Bowhunting/hunting (like baseball), needs more like him to be around to continue for young and old to see what this thing we call Bowhunting is, and is all about.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:54 PM

Default RE: Any Myles Keller fans out there?

How about it? I know Myles Keller fans are out there somewhere

Old 08-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

I think Myles is pretty alright, from what little I know of him. He gave my brother an autograph back in the 80's. My brother still has the poster hanging in the cabin.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Myles is the real deal.I wish he would be more active in his writing so we could benefit from his knowledge and experience!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I heard he shot most of his big bucks on public land in Illinois... Any truth to that???
Old 08-15-2007, 09:17 PM

I live close to him...but I don't know him--unfortunately!!!! He sounds like a great guy and an expert at what he does.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:32 PM

Myles does not like to hunt like the so called invited hunters of TV shows today. Rather, he is a do it your selfer kind of guy. I once chatted with a long time friend and confidant of Myles and he put it in this prospective;
Take 100 ac of Mid West Prime Big Buck property, give three stands to Tiffany, Myles and another so called Pro and let them know there are 4 bucks on the property that would all score over 140", and that they had5 days to harvest as many of the 4 Bucks they could.

Myles would come out of the woods on day one, advising that he passed up on3 of the 4Bucks over 140", and then say, ah, let them have at itso they have a chance, and go off on his own somewhere!Rumor has it the other two are still there lookin!

Myles is known for killing big whitetails, but few know that he has 5 record book bears, one held the MN state record for 13 yrs @ 21 4/16th. He also harvested the largest CO Elk in 1974. And an8 Pt Whitetail scoring over 175"

In 1991 after devoting his time and trying to give back to the great tradition of Bowhunting, and to the people who love him, some SOB SCU---G stole 16 of his most treasured Whitetail mounts at the Dallas TX, Shot show. I wish he would post pics of those mounts so that we the bowhunting/hunting community can locate them and bring this thievingSOB to justice, and let all know what a lyingthieving SOBhe really is! Let Myles Keller know we did something for him too.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

I have a picture with Myles on one side and Chuck Adams somewhere. Myles was very quiet the times I met him. He is for our sport and I appreciate everything he does for it.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had an interesting one on onechat with Myles one time about the direction our sport was headed in. I found him to be quite different than I would have expected from someone who had more Whitetails in the P&Y book than any other person. He was humble, considerate, and obviously very knowledgeable. I remember walking away from our conversation thinking he was a breath of fresh air compared toa fewof the other hunting "celebrities" I have talked to.

The old saying "the squeaky wheel gets the most oil" doesn't apply to Mr. Keller with his quiet nature. He doesn't get a lot of "air time" but I can tell I would never want him hunting me, that is for sure.!He is the real deal when it comes to hunting, no doubt about it....
Old 08-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

My stands I use were design my Myles. They were built to hunt and not make noise!!!!

I have not met him, but I sure would love to.

Quick Reply: Any Myles Keller fans out there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.