Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I always hear this story... >

I always hear this story...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I always hear this story...

Old 08-13-2007, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I always hear this story...

About how people hunt the wind exclusively to prevent being busted. That is a given I understand. But then you have the die hard that says he will not hunt a stand if the wind changes while he is in said stand. If the wind changes, he leaves and goes to another stand in favor of the wind conditions. Well, my question is, how often do you think getting down from that stand and moving has caused you to get busted or worse you see the infamous white flag of a 150 class buck as your feet touch the ground?(This deer was probably coming in from your upwind side even though you thought you had him figured)

Just looking for some opinions/tactics here.

LT
Old 08-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I always hear this story...

I agree with you there, if the wind changes on me, im defenitely not getting down and walking to my other stand. You have a waaaay better chance if you just sit up there and wait. Who knows the wind might change again.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Spike

I think the point is if your wind is blowing to a known bedding area or an area that you know the deer are currently using. I hunt where my wind blows over a fence to a sheep farm and I face a thicket- If the wind changes to my back- I eject.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always hunt the wind...I check the weather before I go, I get on the computer and check which way its blowing or check my weather radio...
Occasionally they are wrong but its not the norm...Fortunately I work for myself, so if I decide to go at the last minute, the only person I have to ask (or let know) is the wife...

I know which way the wind should be for each of my stands, if it's wrong, I will not hunt that stand.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

If the win changes I move. Do I spook some deer on the move? Maybe. But thats better than sitting there blowing in their face for the rest of the day.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

I grew up hunting the mountains of the shenandoah valley in VA where apparently there is no such thing as prevailing winds. If I climbed out of my stand every time the wind changed directions, climbing up and down trees would be all I ever accomplished. It seems to be a little easier playing the wind in this part of MD...without the mountains.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on stand position and the area you hunt. One spot I hunt has deer everywhere. If they don't come from one direction they may come from another. Changing stands in the middle of a hunt is up to the individual. If I do it I'll back out go back to the truck or the cabin take a break for an hour or so then go back out to the new stand where the wind may be more favorable.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:02 PM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

If the win changes I move. Do I spook some deer on the move? Maybe. But thats better than sitting there blowing in their face for the rest of the day.
What about scent-away and all that? Does anyone not put complete faith in those anymore?
Old 08-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in the mountains and you never know which way the deer or the wind will be blowing.I always stick around.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

What about scent-away and all that? Does anyone not put complete faith in those anymore?
Sure, I do all that but it isn't foolproof, hunting the wind is your best bet. The longer you sit on stand you'll put out scent especially from your breath. The carbon suits are not 100 per cent they're just help.

Quick Reply: I always hear this story...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.