Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need Help in A Hurry!!! >

Need Help in A Hurry!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need Help in A Hurry!!!

Old 08-10-2007, 03:38 PM

Default Need Help in A Hurry!!!

Ok I just got permission to hunt this land last night. It is in one of the best areas around and has produced some of the biggest bucks in our area. There is no water supply with 1/4 mile so I am worried a little about the heat, but other than that it is a honey hole. Here is the pic of the terrain and a couple of spots I am considering a stand in. Lets see what yall think as far as stand location, hunting time, and just any advice. You guys are seeing as much of it as I am before opening day. Any advice will be appreciated what stand location do you like. Thanks.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Help in A Hurry!!!

what is the blue line for?? i like stands 2 and 4...it is in a little depression on the ground and would be best for most wind conditions.......would need little better for distances between areas, north south..etc....but looks awesome good luck.........

best advice keep scent to a very very minimum...there is not too much land for cover for the deer so if some of the mature deers catch wind you can forget it...

may want to consider more along the "standing timber" line of trees after scouting...
Old 08-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would out one on the finger of woods going into the big soybean field for sure and one on the point right in between 1 and 2. BTW i love the looks of number 4.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:58 PM

the blue line is the plat line to identify the owner in the county. The black line is the property lines.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:10 PM

I like 3 and 4 but I'm more of an "in the woods" kind of guy myself. now that I look again...I'd concentrate on # 4 myself. 3 of the wooded areas intersect at that point.

If the top of the map is North....then I'd say hunt a north or south wind and approach from the downwind side. Look for any trails in that area and set up down wind of those.

Good luck.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:13 PM

The map is set perfectly north and south. I did a drive by of the property on my way to work and it appears the finger into the big soybean field is no longer there as this ariel is a year old, but the rest is still the same. I thought of buying about a 1/2 acre of the soybeans from the farmer in the corner where stand 2 is and having him leave it standing after harvest. Any idea what a man would charge to leave it standing?
Old 08-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Spike

My father in-law has a pivot of soybeans. I will try and remember to ask him how much he would charge to do that for someone. If it was me I would try and get in there before you hunt it and try and find some sign of where they are possible moving through. But really all four of them look like great spots.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really like the #4...that could be a real hot spot.

Another place I would check out is someplace west of #3 and north or #2. It looks like there is a little draw that runs through there from the big woods. That could be a major trail for all the big bucks coming out to feed from their beds in the woods.

The way I see the entire property, the woods that juts out into the soybeans is one big finger that will funnel a lot of deer out of the big woods where they are bedding into the middle of the soybeans to where they will feed. So I would try to find a major trail right around there to set up on. Especially if you find that the big bucks are using that finger as a staging area before they come out to feed at dusk.

Good luck...that looks like a promising piece of land!
Old 08-10-2007, 06:00 PM

I like 2 and 4. You will obviously need to spend some time looking the property over when you can, even if it is during one of your hunts. Good luck and congrats on the land. I hope there aren't many other hunters with permission...
Old 08-10-2007, 06:19 PM

I am the only one within a mile with permission to hunt. This man gave me sole permission and the rights to kick anyone else out. The land behind this is a private reserve with no hunting aloud so no one is hunting there.

Quick Reply: Need Help in A Hurry!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.