2004 Muzzle loader (Read story before Looking) you all won't believe this one. I was hunting out in Sidney this past weekend for..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Still think Head Shots are a good choice??? >

Still think Head Shots are a good choice???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Still think Head Shots are a good choice???

Old 08-13-2007, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Still think Head Shots are a good choice???

Never would the thought even cross my mind while I was in the woods with my bow of taking a head shot.
I will admit that I have taken 1 head shot on a doe with my shotgun. It was a perfect shot and probably the quickest she could have been taken down. Only shot I was presented with too. I think with a gun it all has to do with what the deer is doing, and the hunters abilities. Would I take a head shot on a deer now? Probably not, but I was young at the time and was very confident of my shooting abilities...I guess I am still young and confident, but realize that a shot can wait. And now I kinda like seein them in their natural habitiat undisturbed.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:20 PM

Well the arrow didnt hit anything to kill him .. Glad you took him , People get shot in the head and live.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why cause he missed? Have you? I seen video of other very well respected members here missing!

ORIGINAL: twildasin

I hope that guy does not call himself a bowhunter!
Old 08-13-2007, 10:42 PM

On the last day of the Maryland gun season Jonathan Leith dropped a fat 8-pointer with a 14" spread. The 2 1/2-year-old buck wasn't big enough for a shoulder mount, so Jon decided to saw the skull into a European mount.
Check out the x-ray and see what he found!
Sunk just below the right eye socket and into the honey-combed nasal area and touching the left teeth was a piece of XX75 aluminum arrow with a 3-blade broadhead.
Jon told Mike Sawyers of the Cumberland Times-News, “There was no physical evidence that the deer had an arrow in it. The skin wasn’t broken, there was no pus pocket. The eye appeared to be normal.”
See photo below of Jon and the freshly killed deer. I figure the errant arrow was fired into buck sometime during the 2005 bow season. The deer broke it off, healed and, miraculously, continued to breath, see and feed.
Click here to read the entire story. Special thanks, Mike, for the photos.
The x-ray buck jogged my memory of a not-pleasant morning of archery hunting about 10 years ago. I hooked up with a buddy at 10:00 AM and he said rather sheepishly, "I shot one, but I think I hit him in the head."
"How in the hell did you do that?" I asked. We looked for 4 hours but never found blood.
A week later I bumped into a guy who bowhunted about a half-mile away. "Damnedest thing, 2 days ago I shot an 8-pointer with an arrow sticking out the back of his skull. He was getting around pretty good, but I bet he had a headache, har, har," he laughed. "Know anybody who shoots a 3-blade Muzzy?"
"No," I lied and drove away. I didn't think the guy's joke was one bit funny, but I'm glad he killed the buck and put him out of misery.
I guess the motto of all this is: Watch your bowshots! NO excuse for hitting a deer in the head or neck.

ANother reason you should not take a head shot
Old 08-14-2007, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Too funny!! This happened in Western Maryland. That is where mr longbeard lives [:-].

ORIGINAL: WhitetailArchery369

On the last day of the Maryland gun season Jonathan Leith dropped a fat 8-pointer with a 14" spread. The 2 1/2-year-old buck wasn't big enough for a shoulder mount, so Jon decided to saw the skull into a European mount.
Check out the x-ray and see what he found!
Sunk just below the right eye socket and into the honey-combed nasal area and touching the left teeth was a piece of XX75 aluminum arrow with a 3-blade broadhead.
Jon told Mike Sawyers of the Cumberland Times-News, “There was no physical evidence that the deer had an arrow in it. The skin wasn’t broken, there was no pus pocket. The eye appeared to be normal.”
See photo below of Jon and the freshly killed deer. I figure the errant arrow was fired into buck sometime during the 2005 bow season. The deer broke it off, healed and, miraculously, continued to breath, see and feed.
Click here to read the entire story. Special thanks, Mike, for the photos.
The x-ray buck jogged my memory of a not-pleasant morning of archery hunting about 10 years ago. I hooked up with a buddy at 10:00 AM and he said rather sheepishly, "I shot one, but I think I hit him in the head."
"How in the hell did you do that?" I asked. We looked for 4 hours but never found blood.
A week later I bumped into a guy who bowhunted about a half-mile away. "Damnedest thing, 2 days ago I shot an 8-pointer with an arrow sticking out the back of his skull. He was getting around pretty good, but I bet he had a headache, har, har," he laughed. "Know anybody who shoots a 3-blade Muzzy?"
"No," I lied and drove away. I didn't think the guy's joke was one bit funny, but I'm glad he killed the buck and put him out of misery.
I guess the motto of all this is: Watch your bowshots! NO excuse for hitting a deer in the head or neck.

ANother reason you should not take a head shot
Old 08-14-2007, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mcouey

Is that a mechanical BH or a field point on that arrow?
Based on the first and last pictures in the first post, it looks like a NAP thunderhead.

Just my observation.

Ain't the first story I've ever heard of head shot deer coming back to life, and I've seen it happen twice in my life... both times the deer was shot with a firearm however.

A head shot with an arrow is just a poor choice.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get this dang post off this board,..No one thinks they are a good idea!!!