Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting technique >

Shooting technique

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting technique

Old 08-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Spike

Default Shooting technique

As I've posted previously I've never shot a bow. When I buy my first bow Wed I don't want to look like a total fool. So, what I'm saying is how do you shoot a bow? Where do you anchor? How wide should your feet be apart? Do you shoot with both eyes open etc?

Thanks
Old 08-09-2007, 07:07 PM

Default RE: Shooting technique

relax the proshop will help you out tell him or her to be patient with you
Old 08-10-2007, 10:55 AM

This is all something that you should be helped with during the purchase of your new bow. Which is why we always strongly suggest going to a good pro shop, at least for your first bow. Having the proper form is very important to finding a bow that fits you and setting it up.

Let the shop know you have never shot a bow before and that you will need help. I did the same thing you did, and was leary of spending that kind of cash on a bow, not knowing if I would suck or not, or not even like it.

Story ahead, get a cup of coffee and pee if you need to.

When I first got into archery I was talking to a co-worker at a place I had just started working at. He is an avid hunter, me not so much. I had nothing against it, was just never really interested is all. I have always had guns though and did some small game hunting now and then. I even used to compete with rifles when I was younger at the local range. I started asking him about archery and bows because I was thinking of getting one to play with. I had a crossbow when I was about 18 and it was kind of neat, but I sold it and got a 30-06 instead. I also had one of those little fiberglass recurves when I was kid, I sucked with it though.

I told him I was thinking about going to walmart or something and getting one of those little kids compounds for like 80 bucks or so. I'm little, so I don't really need a large adult bow. He was freaking out telling me not to do that. He said I had to go to a pro shop and get one that fits. It might cost me more, but I would be better off in the long run. A cheap bow will be just that, a cheap toy. I will most likely never learn to shoot it very well and I will lose interest and it would be a complete waste of money eventually. I thought about what he said and decided to go shopping around a little.

That weekend I went to a Gander Mountain, what I considered to be a pro shop at the time. I looked at some of the bows and was a bit sticker shocked to be honest. I really didn't intend to spend that kind of cash. Someone asked if I needed help and I told them what I was doing and if it would be possible for me to test shoot one of the cheaper bows. The had a little hallway set up with a shooting lane. He nocked an arrow and handed me the bow. I drew it and shot. I bounced an arrow off the side wall and into the target! He gave me no instructions or anything, just let me draw the bow and shoot it. He asked if I wanted to try again and I said sure why not. The next shot didn't bounce off the wall, but it wasn't to great, and I slapped my arm with the string. I said "I'm done, thanks for the help I don't see me spending this kind of money on something I suck so badly at.". And this was a bow that cost around 200 dollars already set up. I can't believe I thought that was expensive at the time.

I went back to work on Monday and told my co worker my story. He laughed and then started asking me questions. Like did the guy help me any, where did I hold the string to my face, did I use a release, did the bow fit me, normal sort of stuff that I had no clue what he was talking about at the time. I showed him how I held the bow and how everything played out. I wasn't even holding the string to my face because I was afraid of it hurting me. He told me the guy helping me was an idiot and I should never go back there. He said just going by what I showed him the bow was waay too long for me (it was) and the reason I hit the wall was because I was holding the string away from my face, among other things.

I asked him what a release was and he told me basically a trigger you hook to the string instead of using your fingers to hold it. I had no idea such a thing existed and said heck yah I was going to try one of those out. Well I didn't really say heck.

He told me of a few places locally I could check out that were real pro shops and could help me out. I went to one that night and told the guy what happened at gander mountain. He got a chuckle out of it and said he thought he could help me out. He showed me all the different kinds of bows and equipment you could use, like releases and the like. Then he asked if I wanted to shoot one, and he could see what my draw length should be. He adjusted the bow to fit me and actually showed me how to hold it and where the string should touch my face and all that. I didn't shoot well, but it was a much better experience I can tell you that.

The bow I ended up wanting was around 350 bucks (darton Yukon w/CPS cams). I told him I was bit leary of spending that kind of money on something I didn't know if I would like or be any good at. He told me if I ordered it he would show me how to shoot and that he would have me hitting a spot the size of a door knob at 20 yards before I left or he would give me my money back. I ended up spending about $600 by the time everything was said and done!!!! A far cry from an 80 dollar walmart toy. And remember, I still had no intention of hunting, I just wanted something to play with.

This old man was true to his word. When my bow came in and he had it set up (a few weeks later) he spent a whole Sunday afternoon behind his shop teaching me to shoot. By the time I left I was shooting better than he promised. I could consistently hit a 3 inch circle at 30 yards. I was impressed to say the least. I soon became addicted to it and was shooting well over 300 arrows a day, and reading everything I could about archery and hanging out at shops asking questions. Then I found sites like this and Edersbow.com on the internet.

I soon became very good friends with my co worker and now we are best friends for the most part. By the time the summer was over I knew more about archery (technical type stuff) than he and his friends did and could out shoot most of them at a known distance. He talked me into hunting and helped me out with it. I went with him just to watch that season and went out to hunt the next year. I killed a nice 7 point on opening day the first time I hunted. I don't know who was more excited, him or me.

This is why I cringe when I hear of guys wanting to order a bow over the internet, or going to bass pro, cabelas or gander mountain. Now I'm not saying they all suck, some have some pretty decent people working there, but you never know what you will get. And if you don't know any better, how will you know?

Find a decent shop, tell them you don't know what you are doing and about how much you want to spend, and what you want to do. Then just let them help you. And if you have more than one shop in your area (I'm talking 50 to 100 miles, don't be afraid to drive to find a good one) try them all before you lay down that kind of cash. You may find one you trust more or click with better. Or one may sell a certain bow you like more. Honestly though most of the bows on the market now are great and pretty equal, so I would suggest going with the place that can offer you the best service in the beginning.

And my advice is to resist the urge to buy all the fancy gizmos right off the bat. You would be much better served spending that money on lessons. No one product is going to make you shoot better or be more successful, but knowing how to shoot well and being confident will. A 100 dollar drop a way rest will not make you shoot any better than a 20 dollar prong rest will. However two or three lessons from someone that knows what they are doing will make a WORLD of difference.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.

Where do you live Ryan? Maybe someone here could help you out, like go to the shop with you or recommend a good place to go. I know if you lived near me I would offer to take you to a few good shops and see to it you got helped out properly.

Paul

Old 08-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice reply Paul..Thanks for taking the time. I think you just paid a debt to the old man who taught you!

If I could give you one of those deer skull reward thingy'sfor a great post..I would!
Old 08-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Dominant Buck

WOW, Paul!!

Man you did good! That was a GREAT post.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:13 AM

Unfortunately the guy passed away a few years ago.[&o] Someone took over his shop but it's just not the same anymore. I haven't been in there in a long time though.

For the guys that live in MI it was Pine Grove bait and archery in Clinton MI. The owners name was Paul as well. He was an ex marine and didn't have trouble giving you his opinion, even if you didn't want it. Honest to a fault though. I went in there looking for something once, I think a drop a way rest when they first started getting popular. He said he didn't carry them, thought they were junk, but if wanted one Cabela's down the road had a ton of them.

Sad thing is he was getting ready retire, and he passed away before he got the chance. He was the type of guy were when you went in he would ask you if you wanted to shoot a bow, not the other way around. My buddy and I would go in for something and he would be all excited about a new bow or product that came out and he would say you guys have to check this out or shoot this bow. A 15 minute trip ended up being an hour long.

The new guy is pretty cool too though.

Thanks guys.

Paul
Old 08-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

You are very lucky to have someone like Paul give you such a response. I hope you take his advice and go to a competent Pro shop for assistance on getting proper equipment, proper setup and shooting instruction. Too many people want to get into archery and do not get proper help getting started. Then, they don't shoot well and they think they can't do it and give up archery altogether. If you take Paul's advice, I am willing to bet you will become another one of us crazed individuals who love the sport. There is so much to do with the sport today even if you don't become a hunting nut like some of us. Good Luck!!
Old 08-10-2007, 01:30 PM
BKE
Fork Horn

So buckinrut, what's your location? Like Paul said "someone may be right around the corner that will help you out". Heck, I replied to a post just afew minutesago and it turns out themember is about 2 miles away from me.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:31 PM

Great reply Paul! Guess you got your computers all fixed up?
Old 08-10-2007, 01:37 PM

Sort of, I still have some issues.

Paul

Quick Reply: Shooting technique

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.