Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who uses corn??

Old 08-09-2007, 12:29 PM

Default RE: Who uses corn??

we have a corn pile to keep track of what is in our neighborhood.. where we get most of our pics.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

Corn is good for bringing in does and young bucks. BUT mature bucks might come to the does that are eating the corn.

-john
Old 08-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use it but if I scatter it all around the Turkeys are a pain in the butt. I set up a couple of PVC feeders and that works pretty good.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:56 PM
OGW

The only way I can use "Corn" while hunting in this State since it's Illegal to feed deer here...unless it's early bow season then it's still standing:

Old 08-09-2007, 02:15 PM

apples work well also. at our hunting camp (before we lost it), we would just buy drum fools of old apples from a farmer, deer would tear them up. cut them in quarters, spread them out good and they will last a while. deer lvoe them, but corn as well.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:17 PM

heres a question. this is my first year really hunting public land and i was wandering who, if anyone, throws a little corn out on public land. i understand its illegal, but i know people do it and i dont know how to feel about it. what if im eating apples on stand and cant finish it and throw it, wouldnt that be baiting? even tho its really not? im not sure if i would throw out a handful of apples or not, so i want to ask you guys. its ok to tell me, i wont track ya down and tell the DNR lol, im jus curious as its my first year public land bow hunting really hard
Old 08-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingEd

I had some plastic 55gal drums w/ screw on lids. Drilled two 1.5" holes in the sides at the bottom, filled w. corn...

Automatic feeders work great too... this was just cheaper
Ditto!!!
Old 08-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Geterdun,I would not bait on public ground if I were you.Why would you wantto take thatrisk? We can't feed or bait deer at all here, and I would'nt dare try it, my hunting rights are too important to me.
And yes, I think a warden would consider your half apples hunting over bait as well.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted over corn forever. Best way like most said is to scatter it out, I think the deer find it more natural(like grazing cattle). I don't use feeders during bow season, in my experience larger bucks don't like coming around the feeder during daylight. My dad and brother still take some nice bucks around their feeders, it's just my perspective not to have them.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

When I first started using corn I would just make a bunch of little piles 20 yards or so from my tree. This worked good and usually gave me a good shot. However, I usually am waiting for a decent buck and the corn tends to keepthe deer around until way after legal shooting hours. Lately, when I've been using corn, I will make a few piles70 or so yards away from where I intend to hang my stand or blind.Then I set up on the best trail I kinda find.thisgives mea good shot at deer, whilelimiting the amount of deer I spook while leaving my stand.

Quick Reply: Who uses corn??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.