Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 For those that don't think location or numbers matter >

For those that don't think location or numbers matter

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

For those that don't think location or numbers matter

Old 08-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: For those that don't think location or numbers matter

Since nobody's taking it personally (wink-wink)....let's take it a step further.

Let's just take ALL hunters out of the equation.

There.....now where aremost ofthe big deer?

It is my opinion that saying there " are no big deer here, so I can't kill one" is a much abused and overused excuse.
Who said that?

pj...who are you talking to? Curious???
Old 08-09-2007, 09:38 PM

ORIGINAL: goos_blues

I don't think the lack of deer is your problem. I think the problem is that you spend all your time on this website making excuses.
What a weird thing to say right after telling me I was bold for commenting on what others do. Nice flip-flop

My god, get out and hang a stand or something. Wasting all your time on this site trying to make everyone angry, isn't going to kill a deer for you this year.

I just started posting again about a week or so ago after being gone all summer..........you're 0 for 2. Better luck next time
Old 08-09-2007, 09:43 PM

ORIGINAL: TEmbry15

why get your panties in a bunch about rack size and location.

rack size, yea those states you mentioned average out far bigger racks than say PA or NY.

but, lets talk strictly mature whitetails, ignoring rack size. Logically, you have just as good of a chance at a MATURE whitetail in NY PA or even NC than you do here in KY IL or MO. that is if you work at it, by passing up your beloved fork horns and waiting for a old aged deer. rack size will come with age, maybe not as big as in the midwest.

so if your talking strictly rack size, then yes the midwest is the place to be. but since youve stated mature bucks several times in this thread, i can only assume your talkin about age, and old deer are just as plentiful in NY as Michael Hunsuckers property. Or actually i should say they can be just as plentiful, if you would quit shooting the young ones. which gets back to the button buck slayers WHINING about no old deer to pursue.

I keep hearing all these stories of button buck killers whining about no old deer to pursue but I have never met one.

Weird.

And if you think there are as many mature bucks in NY as there are in the other big buck states then you need to stop eating the mushrooms you find in the yard
Old 08-09-2007, 09:45 PM

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

I think locationis thekey factorfor getting on big bucks. I live and hunt in Illinois andthe areas that I hunt in I see big bucks every year and I'm not even in the "big buck beltway" that cuts through the middle western part of the state.

I also believe that if you pass on the same buck year after year and assuming so do all others that you hunt with, those deer IMO become EASIER to hunt as they age. Why? because they will feel slightly less alarmed with your presence because they will not equate your smell (no matter how faint) with danger.

I have hunted an area thatwas very close to public buildings (mainly a parking lot)and I can say without a doubt those deer had grownaccustomed to people, their voices, their smell and everything that has to do with civilization. We slaughtered them that day, between three hunters (The two brothers who owned the property and myself) we killed 7 deer in the course of an evenings hunt. One of which was a very big buck (130-140 range). That was my first and only triple kill day, I have had a few doubles but those usually took all day, I was able to put these three deer on the ground after getting into my stand at 1:30 pm.

I wonder what it would have been like had most of them been bucks instead of does....... I suspect the results would have been the same.

Spot on as usual................wonder why no gets upset when you say it?

Old 08-09-2007, 09:47 PM

I'm from a high pressured, rifle hunter dominated, dog hunting tradition state.... We have 2 1/2 months of firearm seasons.... ALL phases of the rut take place during some sort of firearm season.... We have great genetics for growing big bucks, but the average age class killed is well under 3.5 yrs old.... The absolute best hunter I know that hunts your average ground has killed a few P&Y bucks, and he is the absolute best... I have killed 1 and have only laid eyes on about 5......

Now, I've been to Illinois twice, DIY, but on private land.. In those 10 days, I've seen more shooter bucks than I would see in 5+ years here in MS..... To put it bluntly, its fairly easy to shoot a decent (110+) buck in Illinois. They have a well defined rut, farm land terrain that funnels movement, etc..... I know one guy out there that has killed 7 P&Y bucks on 40 acres.... 40 freaking acres! Down here you can't kill 7 squirrels on 40 acres, much less P&Y deer.

I defintely don't thinks those mid west hunters are any less skilled that those anywhere else in the country, they just have a huge advantage.. Not only are there A LOT more big deer, in most areas they are easier to pattern.... You set up on a draw, fence line, etc and just wait... It's worked for me the 2 times I've been... I hope it works again this season.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:52 PM

ORIGINAL: pjhunts

Location is only a part of the equation. If you don't have the passion, dedication, and knowhow to kill a mature buck, most likely you won't. No matter where you hunt.
Tiff Lakoski disagrees...............so does Bill Jordan.

Now to end all of the controversy for Atlas, I will put out the challenge: I'll give you a week here to hunt my areas private or public, then you will see exactly how EASY it is in big buck heaven. Then maybe, with any ounce of luck, we will see the end of these pointless, whiny posts.
No one ever said it was EASY.................having said that I have absolutely zero doubt in my mind that if they were out there I (and most everyone else reading this) would kill them.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

I am not saying you are complaing here Atlas, Where you hunt there are no big deer. So try to hunt them is a waste of time.

You have not posted statements similar to they above? Where you hunt not mature deer so to you it is not worth it, plus you enjoy how you hunt.
ORIGINAL: Germ

Atlas we all know it's all about location

Fact YOU bring it up time after time. That is called whining

Huh?

Here is one from another thread. There are more, they say the same thing as "I don't shoot big deer because of where I live"
There is a HUGE difference between simply saying factually that I don't kill them because they are not there...............and whining about wishing I could shoot them but can't because they aren't there.

I say the first.............and have NEVER said or EVER will say the second.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:02 PM

As extra incentive let me mention that the bowhunting authority that Atlas loves the most, Don Higgins, lives~30 miles from me as well. Maybe I could try to arrange a meeting.

I don't hunt with admitted hunting criminals.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:12 PM

I'm not trying to take it too personally, I'm just tired of guys trying to take away from what others have accomplished by saying the only reason that they are doing what they're doing is where they live.
Who said that?

They just lack the passion and dedication that I do.

I log hundreds of hours in the woods each fall, hunting in pouring rain, and cold and anymore, in the heat. I have a very positive attitude that I will be successful and I believe that I would be successful anywhere I went.
Why is it that when someone knocks down a few big deer they suddenly believe they are the only ones who bust their butts for hunting season?

It is my opinion that saying there " are no big deer here, so I can't kill one" is a much abused and overused excuse. If one were serious about killing a P&Y buck, it could be done.

Took you awhile.............but I KNEW it was comin'

It's kind of funny, take a look through magazines like North American Whitetail and see the freak monsters killed in states that aren't supposed to have big bucks. I'm sure if you asked people who lived in those areas and they would say there are no big deer there either.
I hope you are kidding.

I could go on forever about QDMA but it would do no good because it is way to easy to use the excuse that there are no big bucks where I live.

Aren't you the guy who JUST SAID he was tired of seeing people take away from others based on where they live??

Old 08-09-2007, 10:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

I know one guy out there that has killed 7 P&Y bucks on 40 acres.... 40 freaking acres! Down here you can't kill 7 squirrels on 40 acres, much less P&Y deer.

Besides an over all great, honest, post..........this is just priceless.

Great stuff

Quick Reply: For those that don't think location or numbers matter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.