Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is this considerd baiting? >

Is this considerd baiting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is this considerd baiting?

Old 08-09-2007, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is this considerd baiting?

If you put out some sort of container that holds water, and hunt over that water, is this baiting, there fore illegal in some places?
Old 08-09-2007, 05:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is this considerd baiting?

That would be considered baiting, im sure. as youre using an item such asfood to draw the deer in. In most states its illegal to place a container filled with a liquid or solid out for attracting deer, this includes the little bottles of scent attractants, I know in Wi you can not just open a bottle of your favorite scent and place it on a stump.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure in youe area, but I can tell you from personal experiences it sounds like a good idea. I have shot natural watering holes for doves (somewhat similar) and a friend of mine hunted a natural waterhole 2 yrs ago when most of the standing water in our woods was gone.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

All depends on the state. I have been told during different seasons in some states in the west, where water is scarce, that its illegall to hunt within 1/4 mile of it. Who knows. I suspect that if its natural, or placed for agricultural purposes you could get away with it. Just check the laws in your area. Water is important to deer, but they can get away with very little, since most of their food sources are primarily made up of water anyway.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:00 AM
OGW

I'd call the DEC office in your area of "YewNork"
The reg's say it's illegal to feed deer and that it's illegal to "Bait". Like every good hunting regulations handbook they fail miserably to define those words if they make any attempt at all to do so.
I've found the best policy is to get the Opinion of the DEC Officer, in your area,as to how They interpret those words.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dig a hole, now it's just a big puddle near your stand
Old 08-09-2007, 07:36 AM

yup!....same as planting that food plot..LOL
Old 08-09-2007, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your going to get a million different opinions on this one...some people think that hunting over ag fields is considered baiting and some people think almost nothing is baiting....

I think its more of a personal question and has to do with what you believe in.

Personally, i would consider it baiting, but out west and in Africa that is just how its done the majority of the time..
Old 08-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't really consider it baiting for the reason that I don't think water has an ordor for the deer to smell , they just know where a water sourch is and go to it.
I don't know if your idea will work unless it's a large amount but then you would have to keep refilling it from time to time in order for the deer to keep coming to it.
Just like putting a bait pile of corn or apples , if your going to be hunting the same spot over and over again you would have to replenish the food sourch.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:22 AM

Water, as you described could be baiting and as others have said likely to depend on your state regs. Would hanging a dripper filled with 30lbs of peanut butter and molases be baiting?

Quick Reply: Is this considerd baiting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.