Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Snake Bitten???? >

Snake Bitten????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Snake Bitten????

Old 08-14-2007, 12:52 PM

Default RE: Snake Bitten????

Good point and something everybody should be made aware of. Dude not only the hognose does that Ive seen rat snakes do it. And something that totally blew my mind the other day is a guy told me he has seen a copperhead do it and I thought that they would be scary enough that they wouldnt have to imitate a rattlesnake to scare off a predator...but I guess not. I was stalking a deer in a field, and I was easing along and heard that chick,chick,chickchickchickchick. I was like holy crap where is it. I glanced around and finally saw it was a freaking rat snake and just stepped around him. He scared me though, I thought I was about to get it.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was bitten by a non-venemous snake once when I was a kid withno resulting problems. I always had to play with snakes I came across... Once I saw this small black snake and thought it looked pretty cool, but something told me to notmess with it, since I wasn't too sure of what it was. I have since come to realize it was probably a pygmy rattler and it probably would have caused some excitement had I been bitten
Old 08-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

I went fishing with some guys from church about 4 or 5 years ago. We were cat fishing where the Palouse River meets the Snake in southeast WA. We had fished most of the day and I was walking back to camp. I had to traverse through some high grass that was about 5'-7' tall. Reminded me of that scene in Jurasic Park. I was following a trail that teed towards the camp. I took one step into the T and heard this rattle.[:@][:@] I stopped dead in my tracks and started looking all around. Once I determined I wasn't in immediate danger I started looking around. I took a step back and looked further up the trail that I had cut off of and there he was. One more step foward up the trail and he would have nailed me. Luckily I had turned. He was (notice I said was) a small rattler coiled up and ready to strike. Luckily I had turned. I know I've already said that but hey...I was lucky that I had turned. I had a small .25 cal pistol in my pack. Nuff said.

Watch your step.
Reid
Old 08-14-2007, 02:17 PM

Bit of trivia! Did you know a Rattle Snake can NOT hear. So when he rattles to scare or defend itself he can't hear what he is doing. He does have a great sence of smell and feeling. So he feels the motion rather than hears it.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ericstacy

Bit of trivia! Did you know a Rattle Snake can NOT hear. So when he rattles to scare or defend itself he can't hear what he is doing. He does have a great sence of smell and feeling. So he feels the motion rather than hears it.
awesome
Old 08-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bitten By Decapitated Rattlesnake!!!!

Ive seen cottonmouths do the same thing.....the head can still strike you after it's been cut off from the body. It just has trouble lunging at you.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:30 PM

HAHA YALL GOT ME PARANIOED NOW. I HUNT NJ AND SEE SNAKES WHEN I FISH BUT NONE WEN DEER, QUAIL, PHEASANT, OR TURKEY- BUT NOW ILL HAVE MY EYES OUT. EVEN THOUGH I HAVENT SEEN A SNAKE HUNTING DO YA THINK I SHOULD GET A PAIR JUST A PRECAUTION- I NEED A NEW PAIR OF BOOTS ANYWAY. PLUS IN NEW JERSEY I BELIEVE YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CARRY A CONCEALLED WEAPON, SO EVEN IF DO SEE A SNAKE THAT IS POSING A THREAT NOT MUCH I CAN DO UNLESS I BUST A FEW SHELLS IN HIM. ID RATHER SHOOT A GLOCK AT HIM HAHA. SO IF YALL THINK ITS A GOOD IDEA FOR SNAKEBOOTS THEN LEMME KNOW. I WEAR STEEL TOE BOOTS ANYWAY.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use to be an amature herptologist in catching snakes and relocateing gators and did this for the injured wildlife santuary in fla. Ipossesed alicensed poisonous snake permit. I would capture rattlers, cottonmouths, rat snakes water snakes and sale many reptiles to Bill Haas whom owned the Miami Serpentuirm and to George Van Horne at Reptile world in Kissimmee, fla. In persueing these reptiles I have been bitten 4 times by rattlers and once by a cottonmouth. Both snakes have a hemotoxin venom and even though death by snake bite is rare, amputation is another concern. The bite of the cottonmouth was the worse one for me as it bit my left index finger and swelling and discolortion and intense pain worked its way up towards my heart that was a main concern . After about 10 days in the hospital and skin grafts my left index finger still has no feeling and is just numb. But at least I still have a finger since I'm a left handed bow shooter. Thats why I'm a 9 finger typer. I also had a 21 ft. bermese python that I use to go to various functions and at schoolsto conduct seminars with her.
When hunting in snake country I'd use snake boots because a lot of times in thick terrain you can't see where your walking, especially if a blood trail takes you in a place in no man lands. Good luck.

Bobby