Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anybody doing the "same old thing"? >

Anybody doing the "same old thing"?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody doing the "same old thing"?

Old 08-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Anybody doing the "same old thing"?

Don't take this the wrong way (please).....but is anyone hunting the same way they did when they started....year after year after year?

If I hunted the same every year.....I'd lose interest in it, fast.

Right now....I don't know enough to fall into a ............habit. If you'd told me that I'd be more interested in herd dynamics and what part I might could play in that (when I started)....I'd have told you that you were crazy. Right now.....that's where my interest is peaked.

Anybody thinking about next year...and what that holds for you? 2 years from now. 5 yr plan?
Old 08-08-2007, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anybody doing the "same old thing"?

This will be my 40th bow season, So Ill be doing it different than when I started, But Doing the "same old thing" as last year.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am doing the same thing I have done for 21 years, trying to get better at bowhunting any kind of animal I can get after. I constantly make adjustments in hunting. Whether I go about stalking differently or moving treestands for whitetails throughout the season.

I also definitely have a 1,2,3,4,5... year plan. Most of it circles around increasing the amount of habitat on my property as far as whitetails go. I also plan to get after at least3 new species in the next 5 years (moose, black bear and antelope).
Old 08-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

My plan? To go hunting. I'll change up and shoot a compound today, recurve tomorrow, maybe a selfbow next time or a longbow the time after. The crossbow goes to play after bow season's over. The compound and crossbow see a lot more action than the stickbows nowadays though. The ol' bod is worn out. [&o]

Since I hunt public land, it's absurd for me to worry about herd dynamics because there's no sense worrying about something over which I've got absolutely NO control. At least they finally wised up and I don't have to go to apply for a doe permit on that area any longer.

And I stay flexible. I refuse to set any lofty goals. If a great deer comes by, fine. If not, I'm satisfied with what I AM offered (hope it's a big fat hog! ). It just has to be legal.

And I'm often satisfied to go home empty handed, but with a full day in the woods behind me. I can't have a bad time when I'm outdoors - unless I accidently bump a hornet nest. [:-] [8D]

Old 08-08-2007, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

Of course not. If I knew then whatI know now then my answer would be different. I have learned so much over the past years that it would be stupid not to use what I learned. Ask me in five years to compare 2007 to 2012 and I will hope I have the same answer.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:12 AM

The only constant in life is change...

Some things I do the same because I have learned they work. I am also constantly trying new things and applying the lessons learned from trying those things, incorporating them into my bag-o-tricks. But to specifically answer your question, I almost never do the "same old thing." Crops are constantly rotating, mast crops differ, blah, blah, blah. I would get bored doing the same old thing.

I do have a 1,2,3,4,5 year plan. I can even see 20-30 down the road. We planted some oaks this spring, I told my son that I might not ever get to hunt them, but I hoped him and his children enjoyed them, and to do the same for his grandkids.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't take this the wrong way (please).....but is anyone hunting the same way they did when they started....year after year after year?

Not at all! If i looked at it that way i would have stopped hunting30yrs ago.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yup, doing the same old thing, just got another piece of property to hunt during turkey seaon so I'll be figuring it out and hopefully taking some deer off it. I find that very interesting.

Herd dynamics sounds technical, I'm looking more toward simplistic.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hunting is hunting it's dynamic hasn't changed that much in thousands of years. What's changing is this let's grow a buck concept.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

I've changed my preparation the last few years. I was like most the first few years I hunted....just happy to take any deer. The more years I hunted I became quite enamored with chasing trophy size bucks. But circumstances along with the personality of a few local hunters has somewhat changed me the last few years. I'll admit to not scouting nearly as much as I once did and the whole preparation process has dwindled. In fact I may enjoy bowhunting more now than before. The result is less competition with myself and others and not as much pressure I've put upon myself to achieve a goal. I still set goals each season, but I don't worry about it if those goals were not met.

Quick Reply: Anybody doing the "same old thing"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.