Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is Harvesting Does Really the Right Thing to do? >

Is Harvesting Does Really the Right Thing to do?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is Harvesting Does Really the Right Thing to do?

Old 08-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is Harvesting Does Really the Right Thing to do?

Things that make you go hmmmmm.....

I'm going to investigate that on the QTM site.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. More does = More deer = More Bucks

This is true but we must be sure not to go over the carrying capacity. Which in several cases some areas could definitely support more deer. I know for a fact that there is just as much food here in Northern MO as there is in Illinois but not near as many deer. But the MO biologists keep emphasizing overpopulation. I think in many cases more does tags mean more money for the state.

2. Bucks will have more does to chase in the fall making them move longer into the season.

Quite the contrary bucks will move less because theyll have all the does they need in one location.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: drhntr178

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

ORIGINAL: drhntr178

I havent read all the posts but Ill throw in my 2 cents...Why does male only harvest work for turkeys but not for deer? In both species the males fight for dominance and extablish a pecking order. the males also mate with multiple females. Why does it work so well for one species and not the other?

(And dont try to throw in the argument about fall turkey season.The few hens harvested then does not even compare to the number of males taken in the spring)
Only thing I can think of is turkeys have far more natural predators than whitetails.
Yes that is true and it is what keeps the population in check. But what about the sex ratio. I dont see any biologists complaining about the health and unbalance of the turkey population. Does it really affect deer that much?
Good question...im sure the answer is yes, but i dont konw why!
Old 08-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here is the question

How many jakes are being shot?

I will ask DNR this week. I am interested to know
Old 08-08-2007, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wouldnt the bucks be helathier if they had all the does they needed without having to compete with other bucks. Not near the stress from fighting and no running around like crazy during the rut. Just another thought.

Maybe more does=healthier bucks.... any arguments on that one.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stress from breeding is pretty intense too. Imagine you "bred" up to 20 different females repeatedly over a month. First of all, you da man!! Second, you probably wouldn't have enough energy to tie your shoe.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

Stress from breeding is pretty intense too. Imagine you "bred" up to 20 different females repeatedly over a month. First of all, you da man!! Second, you probably wouldn't have enough energy to tie your shoe.
Luckily my mom still ties my shoes!
Old 08-08-2007, 02:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

_dan had made post awhile back about area he hunted that was not hunted by humans. If I recall he said the ratio was like 1:3. maybe he can chime in

Here I am!!! Sorry I was out baiting bear again.

The area that Germ is refering to is about 50-75 sq miles in size. From what I have seen and what my brothers have told me they have seen I come up with a ratio of 1:1.5, max 1:2.

The first time I hunted this area was in 2004 and can gurantee that in the last century there have been MAYBE 6 people in there. This area has lots of wolves, bears and deer. Plus a few moose.

So, I would consider this to be as natural of an environment as I have ever seen. Unspoiled and uninterupted.

Gotta go install windows on the new cabin.......back in an hour.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

Here is the question

How many jakes are being shot?

I will ask DNR this week. I am interested to know
Germ, here the stats for MO 2007 turkey season. The estimated poplulation is 900,000 to 1,000,000.

Adult gobblers- 36587

juveniles gobblers- 11022

hens- 849

Adult gobblers make up over 70% of the harvest. Males equaling over 95%

MO has some of the best turkey hunting in the country. Facts like this make me question the whole deer have to be 1:1 or 1:2 to be healthy.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Maybe more does=healthier bucks.... any arguments on that one.
Other than the stress related to breeding (What a way to go, huh?).....I'd guess that to be true....as long as the carrying capacity for the habitat isn't a factor.

Quick Reply: Is Harvesting Does Really the Right Thing to do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.