Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need Help....

Old 01-02-2003, 09:17 AM

Default Need Help....

I know that there probably isn't any off season for many of you, but there is for me. Is there anything that I should do to my bow for the off season?? I store it in the house for constant temps, but what else should I do? Should I crank it down? Would that save on the limbs and the string? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I shoot a PSE Viking and it's maxed out at bout 72 lbs with limb pockets, in case that matters at all. Thanks
Old 01-02-2003, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need Help....

Shoot it. No, really. The off-season is a perfect time for keeping in practice and 3D shoots provides the much needed work on range estimation.

Shoot often - Hunt always
Old 01-02-2003, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Didn't know there was an off season.
After deer season there is spring gobbler then 3d over the summer followed by fall turkey then back into deer season.
Plus in between all that there is hog hunting.

Aussie by birth Texan by choice
Old 01-02-2003, 10:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

My deer season is still on until Saturday, but the off season is prime time to begin anew getting ready for next year, if you plan on trying anything different for next year now is the time to start, different arrows, broadheads, sights or whatever, the offseason is the time to fine tune your skills and also time to start scouting for next year. I got a new bow the 23rd of Dec. and even though I am hunting with it after verifying it is on with my old arrows, I will be replacing my arrows with ones with a stiffer spine and may switch broadheads to boot, so I plan on starting this process once my season ends to be ready for next year.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 01-02-2003, 01:43 PM

I don't have an off season either. Too busy practicing or hunting coyotes.

KEEP IT LEGAL. KEEP IT SAFE. OR WE MAY NOT GET TO KEEP IT AT ALL.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:55 PM

Off-season? I didn't know such a thing existed. Archery leagues at my local shop start on Monday. I didn't know there was such a thing as down time. If it isn't going to league shoot once a week. It is small game hunting for a few more weeks and possibly a day of coyote or maybe even crow hunting.

We have spotted one coyote in our hunting area and the group of us are in agreement that we would try to hunt it someday after muzzleloader. The farmer has seen it and wants it gone. So there is a chance that we will give it a try.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:18 PM

wipe it down good, wax the string,and put a little lube on your axels.

Old 01-03-2003, 02:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

stump your off season is very minimal at best! Small game, fur bearers, fish, turkeys, more fish, then back to big game, seems hardly a break!