Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New selfish thread. >

New selfish thread.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New selfish thread.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New selfish thread.

It's one thing if you ask them politely if you take them there that they not hunt with out youthis particular public spotthat you put a lot of blood sweat and tears to find and you won't hunt their "secret" spots either.

It's another to say you either don't hunt here or risk loosing my friendship.

Honestly, do you think that you are their only means of getting to said public hunting ground? Get real.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

I think it's selfish. If I really didn't want people there when I wasn't there I wouldn't tell a soul. Unless your paying the taxes or for exclusive hunting rights to it, how can you expect to tell someone not to hunt there? Your best bet is to not let anyone know.......
I can't deny being selfish, but I think what your saying is more selfish. At least this way they have a chance to hunt it with me. Your way says they never get to hunt it. That seems a lot moreselfish.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:02 PM
Banned

I agree with you. I took a buddy of mine turkey hunting this past year on public land. I took him mainly b/c I was having trouble getting this bird and I was thinking having another caller would help strategy wise, of course, I told him before we went that I didn't want to see him hunting in that area and he better not tell anybody about it. I found that bird and he would have never known it was there if I hadn't shown him where it was.

Also, he is my best friend and I trust him wholly, I would not however take someone that I didn't completely trust to a secret spot of mine.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Dominant Buck

LOL...

What you call "selfish", pal.....we just called S.O.P. when I lived in Charleston.

EVERYBODY had their favorit inshore fishing spots.....and I've got a cousin I love with all my heart who lives there.....and I KNOW we didn't share EVERY fishing spot we knew!

I used to burn up a LOT of gas and a lot of time finding these spots. You know the ones......you catch yourself in a tough spot at low tide.....ride it out.....and find a good deep patch of water that others probably never see (not visible at high tide)......or a good oyster bed that's only visible at low tide.

We never divulged all our spots. We'd trae here and there.....one of yours...one of mine.....but you NEVER, EVER gave away ALL your good spots.

I don't see hunting as any different.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:09 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Honestly, do you think that you are their only means of getting to said public hunting ground? Get real.
By no means do I think that am I the only way they will findgood public spots. They can hind them the same way I did, through lots of research and footwork. No body is stopping them from doing that. I agree that my approachis upfront and kindof gruff, but it has worked so far. If I did not make it clear, they might not understand how serious I take this. Most of you are appauled that I would say this to someoneabout public land.Yet you say, just don't take them.At least I am opening their eyes to the fact there is good public land out there. I might even be inspiring them to go find their own good spots that I can't go to without their permission. You guys would rather keep it to your selves and let no one hunt it. I know I'm selfish, but you guys need to grab some mirrors.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

public land is public land. If you don't want ANYONE to know, don't tell anyone. What i was trying to say earlier is, do you think you (and the people you told) are the only ones who know about this great spot?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

LOL...

What you call "selfish", pal.....we just called S.O.P. when I lived in Charleston.

EVERYBODY had their favorit inshore fishing spots.....and I've got a cousin I love with all my heart who lives there.....and I KNOW we didn't share EVERY fishing spot we knew!

I used to burn up a LOT of gas and a lot of time finding these spots. You know the ones......you catch yourself in a tough spot at low tide.....ride it out.....and find a good deep patch of water that others probably never see (not visible at high tide)......or a good oyster bed that's only visible at low tide.

We never divulged all our spots. We'd trae here and there.....one of yours...one of mine.....but you NEVER, EVER gave away ALL your good spots.

I don't see hunting as any different.
Ahem.... Beresford Creek! There ain't no BIG secrets in Charleston fishing!

Duck hunting down there... more of the same.... just a matter of time.... its a tough place to keep a secret.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:23 PM

Like I have said multiple time, more power to anyone that finds these spots on there own. While others may know about these spots, its obviously not very many. I don't hunt in places were there are tons of other people. If too many people start hunting a spot, I will take the time to find I new one. I just don't want to be the one that causes it to happen. Once again your solution is more selfish than mine. I am starting to sound like a broken record, but how is it less selfish to never even give them a chance to hunt there. Also, none of these people are forced to come with me and none of them complain. I will say some of the less avid hunters chuckle and say I am taking hunting too seriously.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK Ok im sorry butam I the only one who sees where this guy is coming from? In my area there is acres upon acres of public ground but ifI took my friend to one of my spots(which i dont have because i hunt private) I would expect him to RESPECT me enough to at least call and ask if he could hunt that spot?? I guess I am wrong like this guy also?

Hey I have gotten into it with my brother because i put a lot of pre season work into getting deer into his areabecause we both generally hunt the same area throughout the year and heRESPECTED me enough to let me hunt it on the first day of the season!

So i guess closing arguement would be that if they are not a GOOD ENOUGH FRIEND to RESPECT you then i guess they shouldnt know about your spots to begin with! Just my opinion!
Old 08-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Spike

fetzeriiif,

I think you might have seen my post right before yours on the "my eyesare opened... Am I selfish" topic. I pretty much live by the same rules you live by. If we are out hunting or fishing together, no problem because it's fun competition when we are shooting birds or whatever we are hunting. IMO it's hunting and not killing and sharing that time with my best friends is part of why I hunt. On the other hand, as I mentioned on the other post, I have taken a friend to my "special" spot on private landwith the same rules you have thatit'smy special spot and he betterstay out. Ilooked as it as a privilege because I took him to hunt some awesome game where he couldn't have gone or wouldn't have known about before.I took him one time and the next year he cut me out bycalling theland owner 7 monthsbefore I usually asked permission. Anyway,I don't hunt with him anymore and it chapped me off so much that I won't even let the guy ontomy farm to hunt pheasants or doves anymore.

Good hunting buddies are hard to come by and I only have one that I 100% trust and I would gladly lethim shoot bigger game than me anytime becausehe respects me and I respect him.

Quick Reply: New selfish thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.