Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Help Judging Age/Size of deer (cam pic) >

Help Judging Age/Size of deer (cam pic)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help Judging Age/Size of deer (cam pic)

Old 08-07-2007, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Help Judging Age/Size of deer (cam pic)

Hi everyone,

I recently moved onto a piece of land where the landlords will let me bowhunt. I put out a trailcam i just bought where I plan to place a stand and have been getting pics of a buck since May and he's turned into a real beauty. I am not good at judging the age of bucks or scoring them so I would like some help if possible. Here are the latest shots, any info on possible age or what he would score would be most helpful. Thanks!

Old 08-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Help Judging Age/Size of deer (cam pic)

A few more that might help....
Old 08-07-2007, 08:16 AM

Just a guess, not an expertbut I think he's probably 3.5-4.5 years old and probably in the 135-145 range would be my guess. A pretty nice deer overall. he reminds me a bit of this guy which is on our property, that we've got pegged for a 3.5-4.5 year old. He's got split brow tines that are 4-6" a piece. This wasmid July

Old 08-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks. I have a ton of pics of him from different angles but i thought these would be the most helpful. I'm 27 and have been hunting since the age of 12, all that time on public land in NJ and the biggest deer I've taken has been a decent 7pt that wasn't even worth scoring (maybe 100points or so) which is why I'm excited about this one. This deer is in Maryland so I'm pretty sure its big for the area. Since I now have hunting rights I want to make sure I don't take too young of a deer. I've seen plenty of smaller 6-8pts but this is the biggest I've seen. I'm guessing it would be ok to take him this season, I'm curious to see if anyone says wait another year. Thanks again
Old 08-07-2007, 08:23 AM

I wouldn't wait on him, he's mature enough in my book. Hard to tell if he's not a bit older than those ages I put out there, due to that grey face. I wouldn't not lower my sights on him though if he came by my tree stand.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot him, he is atleast 3.5 if not older. Also if he would be your largest buck, let him have it.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Awesome! Just the answers I was hoping for! Honestly though, people may have been able to change my mind here for the 6 weeks until the season started but I don't know if I would of been able to let him walk if he was 20 yds away broadside no matter what I thought before then
Old 08-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

what part of MD?? Thats a good deer, probably 3.5 yr old.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

3.5 maybe 4.5. I think hell go 130s
Old 08-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

HuntingEd-

I'm in White Hall, MD, right on the Harford/Baltimore County line (Baltimore County side). 5 Min, east of RT 83, 5-10 minutes south of PA. Where abouts are you?

Quick Reply: Help Judging Age/Size of deer (cam pic)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.