Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Give me some advice. >

Give me some advice.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Give me some advice.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default Give me some advice.

This is a picture of one of my hunting areas this year. I hunted it very little last year since it was my first year i had permission and killed a doe. I have a pretty good idea where i want to place my stands this year but would like some opinions from the veterans. The red circles arethe places where i have considered putting stands.The one on the east side of the woods is the stand the doe was killed last year.The wind most of the time blows from the southwest. Last year the deer did alot of bedding in the weed field but i think it will be different this year due to the amount of corn surrounding. The stand in the northeast corner is a very thick fence row that connects the 2 corn fields and the woods, i like this stand the best IMO. Let me know what you think.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Give me some advice.

That bottle neck stand you said you like best.I will have to agree.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

I really like inside corners, bottle necks and fence rows.
I do like your NE corner selection.

How do you enter this area?
Old 08-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

That stand i enter from the township road on the right. The 2 stands at the bottom by thei would enter by the pond and the rest i would have to walk up the left side of the weed field.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:25 AM
OGW

Whats the prevailing wind direction during hunting season?
If it's out of the North/East I'd look for sign inthe area where the hedgerow meets the woods on the West...Inbetween the 2 Corn Fields.
Entrance from the West along the hedgerow to keep your scent from going into the woods.
It affords the most cover for Deer before they expose themselves.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: RisnerPSE

This is a picture of one of my hunting areas this year. I hunted it very little last year since it was my first year i had permission and killed a doe. I have a pretty good idea where i want to place my stands this year but would like some opinions from the veterans. The red circles arethe places where i have considered putting stands.The one on the east side of the woods is the stand the doe was killed last year.The wind most of the time blows from the southwest. Last year the deer did alot of bedding in the weed field but i think it will be different this year due to the amount of corn surrounding. The stand in the northeast corner is a very thick fence row that connects the 2 corn fields and the woods, i like this stand the best IMO. Let me know what you think.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:58 PM
OGW

Thanks Risner, Then I'd definitely go with the Upper-NorthWest standsite tucked into the corner...if there's sign of deer movement in that area of course. I'd keep in mind that hedgerow if you do get a NorthEast wind as a backup standsite possibly with a climber.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Give me some advice.
Dont drink ordo drugs and be kind to your mother.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

My advice would be to get back in the woods. Find some funnels or trail intersections. Set up on a bedding area. Stop hunting the field edges, you will see lots of deer, but they will be at a distance you cannot shoot them with your bow.

There seems to be enough woods the you wouldn't run every deer out by setting up a few stands back in there a ways. I bet you will see more bucks by moving back into the woods. They just feel more comfortable in thicker cover. Specially if they bust you out on the edges a time or 2.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:12 PM

They ALL look like greta places for a stand. Your best bet is to see what the wind is doing the day or morning you set out to hunt.

Quick Reply: Give me some advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.