Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shot my Aftershock Maniacs >

Shot my Aftershock Maniacs

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot my Aftershock Maniacs

Old 08-05-2007, 07:44 PM

Default Shot my Aftershock Maniacs

I took them out of the package and the assembled head was very nice to look at.........the blades and machining matched up perfectly and there was no wobble, movement or visual problems I could detect. They even look very cool. I like the deep hunter green.

I grabbed the un assembled heads and again very clean work and no visual defects. The housing is solid in appearence and looks to be as strong as one could expect from a broadhead. The blades were very sharp (pleasant surprise) bleeders and main blade alike. I was pretty stoked so far so I screwed one into a Maxima and off I went.

First shot was at 40 yards because arrow flight is my #1 priority with BH's...........she flew like a dart so I was off to a good start........and it looked to be a dandy of a shot as well. As I approached sure enough it was right in the 10 ring Now we're talkin'

I stepped back to 30 and again........up to 20........back to 30.........20, 30, 40...........didn't matter. She was just dialed in and seeing how I hadn't shot in 2 or 3 days I will be honest and say that I was shooting better then I thought I would.

As a point of interest the heads were drilling into my new Yellow Jacket with excellent penetration (based on how far I know my arrows usually go in) I know this is probably meaningless but it's all I have to offer at this time. I have little doubt that these heads should have any penetration problems.

2 possible negatives that entered my mind were that I do not know how this head will do if it smacks bone hard (I feel that way about every head though and I just prefer to not hit where I shouldn't).......sometimes things happen though and the tip of these does not appear to be a bone smasher if that's what you like in a BH. The second thing I noticed is the cutting blades are set back a decent distance from the tip. This is most likely meaningless as well but I do like getting good damage as far in as the arrow can possibly go. With these heads if there is no passthrough the damage will be about 1" short of where the arrow stops. I may be nit picking here.

I like the heads...........I like them alot actually. If I had to go hunting tomorrow I would be very comfortable with them. We will see if that changes over the next 2 months but so far so good.

The blades are replaceable and this head can be shot as a 2 blade or a 4 blade. There are no screws, clips, rings, bands, or tools. The blades snap into and out of place very easily without ever needing to touch a sharp edge.

Check them out if interested..........I think you will like them

Old 08-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shot my Aftershock Maniacs

Thanks, atlas... Couple of things come to mind: One, you mention the tip doesn't appear to be much of a bone crusher, but isn't that a trocar-type design so famously used by Muzzy and lauded over the years as being able to bust through bone? Two, I don't think in reality it matters -- not if you really hit them square on the shoulder.

Last year, I hit a buck in the shoulder with a 100-grain Slick Trick Magnum out of a perfectly tuned Bowtech Allegiance set at 67 lbs. from 16 yards. I got less than an inch of penetration, and jumped the buck up the next day after walking the whole farm and saw that he was no worse for the wear. I've just learned to stayaway from the shoulder.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:41 PM

Default RE: Shot my Aftershock Maniacs

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Thanks, atlas... Couple of things come to mind: One, you mention the tip doesn't appear to be much of a bone crusher, but isn't that a trocar-type design so famously used by Muzzy and lauded over the years as being able to bust through bone?
I just spent a few minutes going over the the unassembled heads I still have in the pack and I think I may have jumped the gun on doubting the tips. They are pretty solid. They will more then likey do as well as any other head if smashed directly into bone........by that I mean it's a coin flip at best.

Two, I don't think in reality it matters -- not if you really hit them square on the shoulder.
Exactly.........I can't blame any head for failing on a direct shoulder hit.

Last year, I hit a buck in the shoulder with a 100-grain Slick Trick Magnum out of a perfectly tuned Bowtech Allegiance set at 67 lbs. from 16 yards. I got less than an inch of penetration, and jumped the buck up the next day after walking the whole farm and saw that he was no worse for the wear. I've just learned to stayaway from the shoulder.
There ya go.............great heads (from what I have heard) and they got stopped on a dime. Can happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime. Moral of the story=don't hit the shoulder. My brother smoked a deer with Crimson Crocs and the head did massive damage and came out like new..........my best friend hit a shoulder with the same heads and it disintegrated beyond recognition...........the buck just walked away []

I'm liking the Maniacs. Could be the first head to knock the Stingers off my arrows (and that is a TALL order). I don't wanna get ahead of myself.........I only shot about a dozen shots but 2 thumbs up so far.