Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Proper 3D Etiquette

Old 08-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default Proper 3D Etiquette

When shooting with a group of people is it OK to talk back and forth about the yardages before you shoot?...........I've seen it done at numerous 3D's.......I can't find any rule on it!....... Is that fair to the rest of the shooters?

What do you think?
Old 08-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Proper 3D Etiquette

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 10:39 AM

how can that possibly be fair...No!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

No and if anyone finds out about that they will be disqualified.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

see my local 3d shoots are open to the public and anyone can shoot them. my first few shoots i ranged every target prior to shooting. saved me alot of arrows. alot of times i didnt believe the range finders. they can look very decieving as you guys know...now i got better and can call them 95% of the time within +/- 3yds.

as long as the group dont mind we will just tell everyone in the group the range. if someone doesnt wanna know they pass around the range finder...

now that i am used to shooting the 3d targets im going to stop using the range finder. when they are ranging targets i wont be listening...probably be the first shooter while they are ranging them..
Old 08-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

That would be a hanging offence.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Host of Hosts

NO! It isn't proper. I shot last Sunday with a friend of mine, his wife was also along for the shoot. From target 1 she was asking yardages of her hubby and before target 5 she just started using the range finder. He wasn't using it, but when she shot before he did I saw him looking at her sight for yardage. I've never been around anyone who's ever ranged anything before the group was done shooting the target.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's proper, just make sure people in your group are OK with it, make sure other groups can't hear, and make sure no one in your group turns in a card.

A lot of the time when I take a new 3D shooter out, I will tell them the yardage and how I came up with that number after I shoot so they don't lose arrows and can hopefully learn how to pick their own numbers quicker.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

It's proper, just make sure people in your group are OK with it, make sure other groups can't hear, and make sure no one in your group turns in a card.
I'll second that. I have shot in tourneys where that was allowed. Not all people can afford a range finder and clubs are often very considerate of new archers. Just think of the time spent if every new archer had to guess the yardage. Think of how many arrows would go sailing over the target and the time spent to find those arrows.

Everyone in the group should be comfortable with this concept so don't be afraid to ask.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Right now I'm shooting 3-D to judge yardage not win anything and the shoots I've been doing are just for fun shoots. So, we talk during, shoot and then range find to see who was right. This was decided before the round though.

Quick Reply: Proper 3D Etiquette

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.