Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Found an OLD friend today >

Found an OLD friend today

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Found an OLD friend today

Old 07-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Found an OLD friend today

WELL,I was leaving work today when my boss stepped out of a trailor he was cleaning out with a bow.It was an old Jennings Forked Lightning.I looked at it and said I used to have one of those and then he said it is yours,take it.

I used to work with my boss several years ago and he was trying to get his kids involved in archery and I had given him my old youth bow for them to have.I had completely forgotten about it.(this was actually my FIRST compound)

This old bow is atleast 25 years old and when I got home,I just had to shoot it.So I reserved the the center serving,tied on a loop,adjusted the draw out as far as it would goand put on an NAP rest I had laying around,set everything to center and shot bullet holes with it.

Of course with this old bow the riser isn't cleared out so I set it to center shot and shot it with feathers but I was amazed it still shot great.No wonder the old Jennings were considered the best at the time.Very little handshock and it was set at 50#'s.

I think my 14 year old nephew might be using it this deer season if it fits him.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Found an OLD friend today

I remember the forked lighting!, cool that you got it back and get to play with again. Man, compounds have come along way in performance and looks. My first compound was an Indian stalker in rosewood color. sold it to a buddy, he left it on top of his jeep for ten minutes while getting something in the woods, came back and it had been stolen [:@]go figure!!
Old 07-31-2007, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree that they have come along way but I LOVE the feel of the grip on this thing and it causes no torque.Jennings made a great bow for the time.

The steal cables ensure there are no timing issues.

It sucks that people steal.I had a knife stolen that my stepdad made for me.I know 1 thing for sure.If I ever come across it,it will be mine again,no matter what it takes.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is just too sweet, TFOX. Jennings really did put together a great bow. Those Forked Lightnings were fast suckers too, for those days. The guy who taught me the gap system I use for barebow tournament shooting always shot one exactly like that.

Kinda gives me heartburn seeing that release loop on it though. Fingers is the only proper release for a retro bow.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats cool, I still have a couple of T Stars in the closet, I think Tom copied the Grip on them from the Old Golden Eagle (recurve) Target Bow.
I love them days, if you called Jennings,Tom would answer the phone himself and take care of your problem like right now. You would never guess it to look at him, butHim and my wifecould clear a dance floor.
I miss them days!
Old 08-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

That is just too sweet, TFOX. Jennings really did put together a great bow. Those Forked Lightnings were fast suckers too, for those days. The guy who taught me the gap system I use for barebow tournament shooting always shot one exactly like that.

Kinda gives me heartburn seeing that release loop on it though. Fingers is the only proper release for a retro bow.

The riser is actually designed for fingers.Hard to get the center shot right with a release.That is why you have to shoot feathers with a release.

I put the loop on for draw length purposes.It is way short for me and my nephew will need it too,I believe.

You will be glad to know Arthur,that when I got the bow as a youngster,I was using a finger tab and no sights.The person that mentored me at the time was also a string walker butI never learned to do it..