Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is new always better? >

Is new always better?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is new always better?

Old 07-31-2007, 08:28 AM

Default Is new always better?

In today's world of hunting it's all about the newest, quietest, smoothest, and fastest shooting bow you can get your hands on. All of these things are really nice and increase your odds of making that perfect shot on that monster buck; but in all of the excitement of these technological advances have we become better "hunters" or just poor hunters with the equipment that does a lot of the work for us? What are some of your thoughts?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:35 AM

Default RE: Is new always better?

Well, that's an interesting question. If you are comparing today w/ the days of the Native American, I say we are lazy hunters that aren't worth a darn.

Generally speaking though, I don't think using the newest/greatest equipment is "doing the work for us." We still have to set up in the right place, we still need the woodsmanship to be stealthy, we still need to keep our cool and we still need to make the shot. We're putting in hard work tuning our equipment just right, practicing in the range or yard, out of treestands, kneeling, standing, uphill, downhill......There's still an aweful lot of work that goes into it.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

Well for me, the upgrade from an early 90's bow to an 04 bowtech was a huge improvement in my shooting. I was a good shot before but nothing like now. Of course a new bow is a pleasure to shoot and in turn you tend to shoot more often. Maybe take up 3D and Indoor shooting. Again improving your skills. Speed isn't everything but it sure helps when you miss judge by a couple yards. I don't think upgrading every yearlike some of these lucky basterds[8D]does as much drasticlyfor there groups though.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don`t think the new tech stuff really makes any one a better hunter at all (imo). However when talking about new bows release`s shooting equiment ect..it can help increase ones shotplacement and helps put theodds in the hunters faver on taking game when a shot presents itself.
I have always tryed to keep the two seperate (Hunting) And (shooting)
To me "hunting" is knowing your game and understanding everything you can about the animal? eating habits,beding areas,ect..so i can try to put the game in front of me for a shot. Thats the hard part!
Shooting? Is really the easy part to me (imo)

Old 07-31-2007, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im building me a New (used) 200.00 Bow package this year, Just for the heck of it!
Already picked up a Jennings CK3.4R Bow for 137.00 (550.00 Bow just last year) and a Diamondback drop away rest (NIP) for 24.95, still looking for a good quality used Sight for around 30. to 40.00, and plan on Killing a 130 class Buck or Bigger with it.
Nothing against 1000.00 bows, 200.00 hunting sights, 200.00 Releases, 125.00 rests, or 100.00 bow strings, just doing it to show it can be done on the Cheep if need be!
I killed deer with bows that shot a smoking 170 fps and had nothing on them but my hand and a string, I think I can take one with my New (Used) 200.00 outfitt .

As far as the Hunting part of it goes, Young Hunters today are far more Knowledgeable then say most hunters 25-30 years ago where Whitetails are concerned, sure some of the equipment makes the Job a little easier, But the knowledge of Hunting the Whitetial over the last 30 years far outweighs the equipment!
Old 07-31-2007, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every year, the bow companies will make you think that the bow they're touting this year is the best thing since sliced bread. It's always some "dramatic improvement" from anything they produced in the past and you must have it!

I don't have to have the latest bow and all the newest stuff to be quite successful every year. The Lord has blessed me with plenty of deer every year and I will use my bows until there's a need to change. My wife doesn't have any problems with me buying a new bow because it's a long time between purchases! Before I bought my Lazertec in '03, my Golden Eagle bow had lasted 13 years and served me well. I did improve greatly when I bought the new bow because it fit me better and they truly had made great strides in the interim. As long as my current bow continues to shoot great, I'll stick with it. By the time I'm done with it, the newest improvements will probably merit a new bow.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nope. I ain't a-gonna say it. Gotta keep my mouth shut to keep from sounding elitist. (But it sure hurts, holding all this in!)[8D]
Old 07-31-2007, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know thats not good for you Arthur!
Old 07-31-2007, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

We have become smarter hunters. The whole purpose of hunting isto killfood or a trophy. Us as a group have just found easier ways to achieve our goals. I personally try to make it a little more fun by not using all the high tech. equipment. It is just human instinct(for most) to improve all the time. I would say new is better but old can be alot more fun.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Nope. I ain't a-gonna say it. Gotta keep my mouth shut to keep from sounding elitist. (But it sure hurts, holding all this in!)[8D]
Come on Arthur lets hear it! This is one of those threads you wait on all yr!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.