Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best Tree stand trick >

Best Tree stand trick

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best Tree stand trick

Old 07-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Best Tree stand trick

Ok lets hear how you make your stands more stealthy.

Here is one of mine:

I love felt I put piece of felt where the two pieces of metal touch when loweing the seat. I do this because like a knuckle head I slammed it down once and of course a nice buck was right behind me[:@].

Also this is one of my favorite stands I own. They lock in a tree like no other stand I have.

Here is my favorite part of the stand. A 1500 lb test ratchet Yes over kill, but I really can ratchet this stand in. It does not make a sound from the 1st day to the last. If the tree is little bent I can adjust the platform.

Justin

Hillary loved the hat

Old 07-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Tree stand trick

Hey Germ,

Nice tip. My loud noises are usually from my gear hitting some metal on the stand. [&:]

I guess this goes with stealthy, we added these Cabela's shooting rail skirts to our lock-ons.
They are about $30, easy to put up, and they definitely seem to help not getting busted.

Btw, that is a cool hat and a cute kid.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:04 PM

My favorite "stealth trick" is to fall asleep....Those stands just don't make much noise if you're motionless.......Well.....except for the occasional buck grunt.....[&:]
Old 07-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tie camo burlap on the bottom of my stands and around the straps. Not sure if it helps but it's cheap and really hides the stand.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

good tips Germ.

this year i did some treestand work. last year i only used my summit climber. took me a long while but i got most of the old summit skin off. then it was on to paint. i went with a heavy/double flat brown base coat and broke it up with green and kackie. the kackie really helped but i kept it kinda sparse...just enough to throw things out of the "blob" look. then i applied the new summit skin. after that i applied the sandpaper tape to the platform. last year it was raining and i about lost it...im just hoping the sandpaper dont make noise..we will see...

did the painting to the 2 lockons i have. ive never used them...but figured i should this season. they were the reason for paint..the summit is a year old..didnt need painted....but it looks better...that nasty green seems to stand out to me..

i will try to get some pics on here of the paint job..i like it. i was mainly trying to keep the lockons from rusting and also camoflauge them from people in the woods...thats the biggesst problem here is theft. going to take atleast my bottom 4 steps out AND master lock the chains....if someone wants it they will still get it..the chains arent super high quality...but hopefully i always have my stands...they are going to be hard to spot thats for sure...
Old 07-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

I did the same thing but I went to our local discount hunting store and picked up a huge sheet (don't remember the size) for about $20 (I think). I measured the stand, cut the length and doubled the material to make it thicker. I like the fact that it has holes cut in it to give it a leafy appearance and let the air blow through. Also my camo suit is leafy cut so I blend it perfectly with the stand cover. Someday I will get a picture of me in the stand...not that you will be able to see either one.

I also added arachet tie down strap to secure the top portion of my climber to the tree. I'm not taking any chances ofus sliding down the tree.
SAFETY NOTE: always make sure that you have straps tieing the top andbottom portions of your stand together. The last thing you want is to be 15-20 feet off the ground and have your bottom slide to the ground.

Back to stealth...I also bought a side pack to mount on the side rail of the stand. That way I don't have to stand up to get water or snacks out of my backpack hanging on the tree. This means less movement and sound.

Happy and Quiet Hunting
Reid
Old 07-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

My trick is go high usually doa minimum of 20 feet but at the same time dont get skylined and have a good backdrop if not your tree others behind it and move really slow. and I also agree with naps helping you stay motionless thats happens more often then not it seems
Old 07-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Dominant Buck

I have the platforms of my summits treated with that spray on liner stuff they put in truck beds. It helps with the grip (my boots)....and it dampens sound.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's a good idea Jeff. I simply put hocky tape on the metal parts except on the platform, put a piece of hose where both halfs contact while carrying and painted the edge red for safety. I also filed a sharper edge on the grippers to hold the tree better, really helps.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good idea on bedliner GMMAT. I've had problems with climber platform getting slick in rain, especially
when jacked up high, the tree gets thin, making the bottom go below level. I thought you had to get
that done at a shop. Can you just buy it and do it yourself?

Quick Reply: Best Tree stand trick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.