Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Your comfort range? >

Your comfort range?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your comfort range?

Old 07-28-2007, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your comfort range?

I am comfortable out to 45 yds. Can group very well out to 70, just wouldn't shoot at game that far.

Shane
Old 07-28-2007, 10:44 AM

Around 40 yards
Old 07-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'm comfortable out to 40 yards

[/align]
Old 07-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

At a deer I try my best to limit my shots to 30 yards or less. Too many variables to risk a longer shot. I just don't understand the desire to try and make long shots at game with a bow. I started bowhunting to get close, not see how far I can shoot one. If I wanted to do that I'd still rifle hunt.

I'd rather have them right in my lap, that's what gives me the rush, not the long shots.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Amen, Mike!!

It's all about getting close in bowhunting, and I soundly second the rifle comment, too.

Too many people forget all the variables introduced at shooting at live animals -- and most importantly, by the animal itsel. I can keep all my arrows in a softball at 50 yards, but that doesn't mean I'm launching an arrow at one from that distance.

By the time it takes my arrow to get there (out of my Allegiance, no less -- one of today's hardest-shooting bows), a deer can take a step and almost two. I've went from having a perfect behind-the-shoulder hit to possibly a gutshot. One results in an animal down in less than five seconds; the other result means hours and hours of waiting and tracking.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

To paraphrase an old saying - Archery is the art of seeing how far you can get from a target and still be able to hit it. Bowhunting is the art of getting close enough to an animal that you can't miss.

30 yards or less ****UNLESS**** I've already wounded an animal and it gives me a chance for a follow up shot. Then I'll shoot as far as 60 yards.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Under the right conditions, 40 yards.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

35 yards
Old 07-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man nobody ripping these guys a new one... huh... Lets see... A deer broad side at 60 yards... You add in a little cross wind and the fact that the deer could... Now I say could just jump your arrow... Or maybe just maybe take one step at the same time you realease your arrow ending in a crippled deer... Just doesent seem ethical to me

Anybody else like to coment on this???

My name is Ken and I took a head shot on a deer at 5 yards

Old 07-29-2007, 05:13 AM

30-35, but I do have a pin set at 40... mainly because I have 5 pins and didn't know what else to do with it!

Ken (the one who doesn't take head shots)

Quick Reply: Your comfort range?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.