Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hoist question?

Old 07-26-2007, 11:56 AM

Default Hoist question?

Hey guys,
I want to build a hoist location in my garage for butchering my deer this year. I have been shopping around for a hoist but can't seem to get the answer I'm looking for. My question is this:
I can mount a hoist to my rafters at about 13'. How do I know if the hoist I purchase will drop far enough to the ground to allow me to hook a deer to it? I can't find on any of the hoists how far the pullys seperate nor do I know the term to ask such questions. I don't want to get one and then find out I can only lower the bottom hook to 6'. I can't lift a deer that high AND hook the hind legs by myself. If you have any suggestions on how you did yours I would love to hear them. Or of you can just tell me what I am looking for on the hoist packaging to tell me how far the pullys will seperate that would be great as well.

Thanks in advance...
Old 07-26-2007, 12:00 PM

Default RE: Hoist question?

Whatever hoist you look to purchase, make sure it will drop far enough before buying. You could also have some extra chain on hand to lengthen the hoist if not long enough as well.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

You can always add more chain to get the length you need. You just want to make sure it is as long as possible. Say the chain is only six feet...you can only lift the animal 6', then you will have to tie him off and rehook. A lot of work. I would suggest getting a chain hoist that has a lot of chain and is not restricted to a set length. I have a chain rachet hoist. I don't know the correct term so I'll just stick with that one. A friend had one in his garage that we used to hang an elk with. I started looking for one. I happen to be in a second hand junk store one day and found one for $35...mine! I carry it with me when I hit the woods.

The other thing you need to do is to make sure your rafters are BEEFED up enough to hold the weight of whatever animal you are going to hang. Rafters are not designed for that kind of downward pressure. Either run some 2x8/10/12 nailed together across several rafters on end and/or have some posts you can put under the rafters to support them all the way to the floor. Good rule of thumb is...do what you think would hold...and double it.

Good Luck
Reid
Old 07-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

I use a boat style winch. The cable is usually about 20' long and the winch makes it easy to crank the deer to whatever height and lock it in place there.
Good luck.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Dominant Buck

I think I paid $25 for my gambrel that has a rope hoist on it. I just hook mine to the bottom rafter in my shed....and I'm butchering in style (well....out of the cold, anyways).

Old 07-26-2007, 06:23 PM

Thanks guys. That gives me some idea of what to look for and a solution if my hoist is too short.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tractor supply has the manual chain ones that will meet your needs. They work slick
Old 07-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Fork Horn

The bottom left wrench in the picture above is what I was referring to as the rachet wrench that I have. Mine has about a 12' chain. You rachet the handle to crank the animal up, flip a switch and rachet it down. It is wonderful and portable.

Happy Hunting
Reid
Old 07-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Fork Horn

i have an old engine hoist which i just hook the back leg and take her up
Old 07-27-2007, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not sur ewhy you really need a hoist...just get yourself a good pully system and good ropeor come along system and youre all set.And youd save money in the long run for somethign that does the same job. Now if youre using it for bigger game than deer such as bear or elk, then yea id go with some kind of automatic heavy duty hoist system.

Quick Reply: Hoist question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.