Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Head shot with a bow >

Head shot with a bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Head shot with a bow

Old 07-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Head shot with a bow

If all you had was a head shot on a deer from a treestand at about 5 yards... Would you take it...

The reason I ask is because last fall I was in my stand and had a nice 4pt walk in and start to make a scrape and tear up some saplings... He walks under my stand and prasents me with a nice broadside at about 6-7 yards... I drew my bow back and was just getting ready to let the air out of him when I hear something walking in the leaves... I'm at fullk draw and I look back and see a nice 8 point walking in thw same trail the 4 pt walked in on... So I hold the bow at full draw and decide to wait on the 8pt... Well the buck walks in and never gives me the perfect shot... The whole time he is quartering towards me the whole time... So I've been holding this bow at full draw for about a minute and a half... I really felt that if I let the bow down they were going to hear or see me and the gig would of been up... So I felt confident with the head shot and thats what I did... I put one in the grape... Dropped him in his tracks... Just wondering what others would of done...
Old 07-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Head shot with a bow

Just ME.....but I would have waited. Too manydeer around for me to take that chance. It's just a deer......God's making more of them every year.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

uh oh. might need some popcorn for this one!
Old 07-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Typical Buck

No, Especially a buck with horns, your arrow could hit a horn and you risk wounding the animal, and with any deer the reflexes are so sharp, you could seriously hurt one without killing it.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

i cant make ethical chioces for you, i wouldnt. not with a bow. a rifle at 50 yards, yea mabey. but defently not a bow
Old 07-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea it's just a deer... But I've been hunting this public landfor 30 yearsand this was the biggest buck that I ever seen while bow hunting so letting him go would of prob been the last chance at a decent buck in this heavily hunted area...

Hell the 4pt would of prob been the biggest buck I killed with a bow he was one of those 4pts that was prob like 3.5 years old
Old 07-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know I'm not the greatest shot with a bow but at10 yards I can hit a quarter every time
Old 07-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Yea it's just a deer... But I've been hunting this public landfor 30 yearsand this was the biggest buck that I ever seen while bow hunting so letting him go would of prob been the last chance at a decent buck in this heavily hunted area...

Hell the 4pt would of prob been the biggest buck I killed with a bow he was one of those 4pts that was prob like 3.5 years old
The size of the deer wouldn't have a bearing on my decision to shoot or not.....but that's just me.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

I know I'm not the greatest shot with a bow but at10 yards I can hit a quarter every time
dont get me wrong, thats good. but, does a quarter jump when it hears the sound of a twig break, a leaf crunch, or a bow letting an arrow go?
Old 07-25-2007, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

NO. Never. Not me.

Quick Reply: Head shot with a bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.