Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
A question of ethics as a Human Bowhunter >

A question of ethics as a Human Bowhunter

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A question of ethics as a Human Bowhunter

Old 12-30-2002, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default A question of ethics as a Human Bowhunter

I went out bowhunting last night. I have one antlerless tag to fill, so I just hunting for meat. I was doing some spot and stalk on a herd of deer. I got about 45 yards from them when I stopped. Seen a couple does and one nice 10pt buck. Even though I wasn't going to shoot the buck I was more interested in it and was watching it more than the does. Then they must have caught wind of me or something, because they all started snorting and the does ran off, but the buck stayed. He stood there for a couple minutes which was very odd for a mature buck to do. Then he started walking and I noticed one of his back legs was mangled. He could hardly walk. Was all humped up, and was obvious he was in a lot of pain. I probably could have ran him down if I wanted to. Then it got me thinking, what should I do if I had a shot at this buck? Should I put him down and be a humane hunter or just let him suffer and eventually die since it would be ethically wrong considering I don't have a tag? I've been raised to put down any animal I see which is in a position like this. I've done it with a lot of my own pets and other animals, but never a deer. It's not like I would keep the deer if I did shoot him, just put him down and left for the coyotes. The spot is in the middle of a 2 mile section, on the edge of my property line. I may not see him tonight, but then I might, i don't know.
Visit My Updated Hunting Page
Old 12-30-2002, 11:56 AM

Default RE: A question of ethics as a Human Bowhunter

It would depend on where I was hunting. On my property Ihave put him down.

GO PACK!
Old 12-30-2002, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

I would say put him down, for one that wound will probably get him eaten by coyotes anyway and for two if he does make it till next year that wound will make his rack next year all messed up and who knows what else. But on the other hand you might have a hard time explaining that one to the game warden. Go for it if you don't get caught. By the way make sure you at least cut off the antlers.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:58 AM

Simple If you don't have a tag than you are not supposed to shoot him.
If you do shoot him without a tag its poaching. Might not be humane but that's the law. Mother nature will take care of the deer in one way or the other.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:38 PM

That's it exactly Bees. I mean it's a noble thought to take out a badly wound animal but without a tag you've broken the law. Mother nature will take care of it's own. There maybe some situations I would shoot. A gut shot and near death or in any other near death injury to quick'en it's death but if I don't have a tag I'll have to live with the consequences if caught. JERRY

Old 12-30-2002, 12:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

It would be illegal for you to shoot the buck,but that doesn't make it wrong.

Old 12-30-2002, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with both of you on the illegal part but if a horse gets hurt they kill it, if a dog or cat gets hurt they shoot it. A deer although a wild animal is still an animal and I think that if he is hurt as bad as he says that it is really only fair to shoot him. If that was me wounded out in the woods I would want to be put out of my misery. But different people have different opinions I see where both of you are coming from.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:27 PM
Dominant Buck

The difference between you and me.... I would have already done what I was going to do and I never would have told you.... or anyone probably for that matter. Maybe Len or someone I hunt with.... but the rest of the world doesn't need to know one way or the other.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Easy....find a tag!

Seriously though, if the buck looks that bad...shoot him. I wouldn't go bragging about it though.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:33 PM

It sounds like you were raised in a rural environment aand could tell within reason that the deer certainly wasn't going to make it. If I was 100% sure he wasn't going to heal up, I'd put him down and take my arrow home and never mention it again.

"In heaven, even the fish have antlers"

Quick Reply: A question of ethics as a Human Bowhunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.