Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Got my Ross 337...**review and pics** >

Got my Ross 337...**review and pics**

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got my Ross 337...**review and pics**

Old 07-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Got my Ross 337...**review and pics**

Waited for the UPS man today, and he got here at about 1:30. Got the box from him, opened it up and there she was, my 337. After getting her out I realized what a Beauty she really was. I looked her over really well and could only notice a few nicks here and there. Then I went to the string and I saw a fray, I said well, might not be that bad. I threw the Copper John sight on it, wrist sling, scoil and headed to the shop. I get there and they begin putting on the string loop, then they noticed the spot in the string, we put it on the press and checked it out. He said it was 3 or 4 strand and I needed to replace the string because the idiot who had it before me and put glue directly on the string for his peep! . I said just put something inexpensive on it for now. We ended up putting a Stone Mountain string on it for $25, which I only had to pay about $15, so no biggie.

Originally he said that he got a 28" mod for it. Nope, once again, the guy screwed up and sent me another 29" mod. 2 RS5 mods. So I'm shooting it at 29" and I'm shooting good and it doesn't feel that bad at all. That PSE string I was shooting at 29" must have been severely stretched but as you can see in the pic below the draw looks pretty OK on me.

I equipped here with a CJ Dead Nutz Pro sight, TT Pronghorn rest and S-Coil. I decided to go with the Gold Tip XT Hunters, cut to 28". I also FINALLY upgraded my release to a Scott Little Goose Deluxe with the knarled trigger. I LOVE it. I also bought a Morrell Bag target.

Now down to the shooting, I left the poundage low so I could shoot more, I'm shooting 29" draw, 62lbs, and it shot my GT XT hunter 262 fps. Not too shabby. I coudn't get over just how quiet and shock free this bow is. I just couldn't get tired of shooting it. It truly is a dream to draw and shoot.

As far as the Stone Mountain strings go, after we cut off the foot of serving they put on their strings, reserved it, set the peep, and I still haven't had any rotation issues and I probably shot atleast 100 arrows today. The bow called for a 101 1/8" string, so we put a 101" string on it. Accounting for the inevidable string stretch. After doing that we got the cam orientation fixed perfect. I'm shooting bullets. Already busted a knock off . I would absolutely LOVE to put a single pin slider on this bow. I'm already getting annoyed with pin crowding and I'm only shooting 262fps.

OVERALLY GREAT BOW!

**Excuse the mess in the DL pic, I got stuck doing laundry tonight since I was gone all day**
Old 07-19-2007, 08:00 PM

Default RE: Got my 337...review and pics

Man, I'm glad you finally got that rascal, you've waited a long time. Those are some of the finest shooting bows I've ever shot, though they aren't the fastest.....But IBO 305 is plenty fast. The draw is a little long, but it's not bad. You're leaning back just a little bit, and the arrow nock in middle of your cheek.....It's a tad long, but you'll grow into it soon enough I'm sure.

Single pin sliders are the way to go, IMHO. No clutter, they're very simple to use and you can set the pin almost for the exact yardage you want. Don't have to use pin gap or guestimation on where the pin should be. Set the yardage and let 'er fly! Others will not agree, and that's ok. We all have what we like and what we don't.

I would have to say as far as craftsmanship and finish, Ross is the best there is. Their finishing detail is excellent, they even round over the machined cut outs in the riser, and the dipping is top notch.

Congrats on a fine bow dude.....
Old 07-19-2007, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've got a Cardiac comming too

As far as the DL, yeah I know it's long but I'm going to leave it for now, because it's not that big of a problem at the moment.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:04 PM

I wasn't as impressed w/ the Cardiac......I got mine in and didn't buy it.....They're nice, don't get me wrong.....But not what I was expecting. G5 is doing all of Ross's machining now, and they're pretty backed up. How long you still got to wait?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to see you got a bow that you love, I'm sure you were getting nervous there, being bowless and all w/ the season this close. I bet the wait was worth it.

[/align]
Old 07-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

I wasn't as impressed w/ the Cardiac......I got mine in and didn't buy it.....They're nice, don't get me wrong.....But not what I was expecting. G5 is doing all of Ross's machining now, and they're pretty backed up. How long you still got to wait?
Well, I honestly don't know. We kept getting the generic 4-6 week answer. Now they have the risers cut, and are getting dipped. So they are saying about 2 weeks. As far as not being impressed with the Cardiac, if I get it and don't like it. There's a wall of Hoyts at the shop that will be getting some attention .

Tonight while I was at the shop getting everything set up, everything I bought was just above what he had in it, as far as price goes. Keep in mind that I'm going to be working here in a week or 2. He said when I actually come to work, he will sell me pretty much anything I want for just what it costs him to get it. I have to say, that's pretty cool. So I would say, if I get the Cardiac, don't like it, he would trade me straight out for what I wanted.

I spoke with him tonight and he says he is dying to pick up Ross for the shop but a smaller shop about 25miles away got them first. Ross says that they can't have dealers within 30miles of each other so he can't get them atm. He sells about 10x's more bows than the little shop does and he told Ross that when they can't pay their bills that he will take them.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

A CARDIAC TOO!!!???
Man your gonna be decked out with fricken sweet bows!!!
Awesome, hope everything goes well!
That things a beauty to look at i bet shes 100 times better to shoot!
Old 07-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bullet Hole Bailey

A CARDIAC TOO!!!???
Man your gonna be decked out with fricken sweet bows!!!
Awesome, hope everything goes well!
That things a beauty to look at i bet shes 100 times better to shoot!
Yup a Cardiac. I have to say I've gotten really lucky as far as bows go, especially the Cardiac. Consider me a Ross "fanboy" for a while.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, dang man, your lucky!
Old 07-19-2007, 09:27 PM

Congrats!

Quick Reply: Got my Ross 337...**review and pics**

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.