Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you hunt with a gun during bow season? >

Do you hunt with a gun during bow season?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you hunt with a gun during bow season?

Old 07-19-2007, 05:25 PM

Default RE: Do you hunt with a gun during bow season?

As much money and free stuff (pro staff) that people get for killing a monster deer these days, poaching has only gone up. How do we know that these huge deer that people kill, maybe even here on Huntingnet, that they are killed legally. With tags being called in over the phone or over the internet, you dont even need to physically check the deer in in a lot of states now. There are so many deer at these contests and shows that are killed illegally and people are so proud of them.Some of the biggest deer you see are killed illegally. Its the easy way out for these people. They dont want to work for it. Its only a mirror image of our society nowdays. For what these guys get when they kill a monster,poaching will never end. You dont have toreally prove how it was killed.Poaching is a problem everywhere!
Old 07-19-2007, 05:30 PM

It is truly sad if you read this and you are one who has killed a deer illegally and brag about it!

You will have to look in the mirror and talk about how great a hunter you are!!

I hate poachers just like many others here!
Old 07-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

AND MAKE SURE YOU PUT ON YOUR ALUMINUM FOIL HATS SO THEY DON'T GET IN YOUR HEAD AND MAKE YOU POACH!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Poaching has been a problem here in Missouri but not as bad as it used to be years ago.We have the call-in Telecheck system and it has worked really good around here.When someone calls in and reports they shot a Doe orsay a 8 Point Buckand there is point restrictions in that area they have had Game Wardens go and check out to see if the Hunter is telling the truth or they have gone to the local MeatProcessor's and verify the deer the individuaul has harvested.Last year after Rifle Deer Seasonsomeone was shooting deer at night in our Eastern County and taking only their Racks...they ended up catching 2 guys that were caught riding around late at night with a spot light and a rifle.Not sure if they confessed to killingthe Bucks but I'm sure they were fined severly and will be watched for many years to come.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Whitetail Expert

It is truly sad if you read this and you are one who has killed a deer illegally and brag about it!

I would place a bet that the odds are that someone has read this and is feeling a little antsy right now--or maybe smug![:-]
Old 07-19-2007, 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: manuman

ORIGINAL: Whitetail Expert

I would place a bet that the odds are that someone has read this and is feeling a little antsy right now--or maybe smug![:-]

I agree 100% on that statement!
Old 07-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

manuman,

I'm sure in your case you know what you are talking about and have ruled out other possibilities,
but I just want to say that just b/c someone hears a shotgun or rifle during archery season doesn't
always mean its a poacher. Last year I was bowhunting and some jack#$% was squirrel
hunting along the ditch that divides our property and shot about 10 times. Of course, its his
right, and I wouldn't say anything about it, but it is still frustrating. We also have an early
teal season, and you can hear the shotguns booming for that. And sometimes guys are
out sighting in their rifles.

So hearing guns doesn't always mean people are poaching, but I'm sure it goes on.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:27 PM

Here in Louisiana, the problem is not just gun hunting in bow season. There are a significant number of people who hunt year-round. "Nightcapping" deer is a pretty common practice as well.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Typical Buck

When me and a buddy got done duck hunting. A guy was like. Well i better get goin, perfect time for spotlighting some deer with my bow. I thought he might have been joking, but he did tear out of there pretty fast.

Then today at work a guy told me about how his cousin shoots deer year round, and most of the time he just leaves them out in the open for coyotes to come feed off of them.

Another guy I know was talkin to me at the bar one night and was like, would you get mad if I told you somethin? I just said, depends on what it is. He then says, I shot a goose today. That was in like March or somethin, not during a season I don't think. And either way he wasn't license and it was a canadian. He said he just fed it to their farm cats.

I couldn't do it, don't see the point. I still have venison in my freezer from last years gun season.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey BigTiny,

Don't go tarnishing Louisiana's sterling reputation.

I know this stuff goes on, and in the "good ole days" we used to have some problems at our hunting
lease (not our property), mostly with people taking a buck the afternoon before buck season
opened (field dress and pull out in morning), or taking 2 deer and letting another hunter claim
it, but even among some of these "outlaws," they never spotlighted or hunted completely
out of deer season.

Over time, with good examples, explaining how it hurts the deer herd, and enforcement of rules,
that crap doesn't happen at that camp anymore. Its known that these practices are not tolerated.

So, other than a few vigilantes, in my neck of La. most of your regular hunters seem to be
sticking to the rules. That and we have some super aggressive game wardens living in the area.

Quick Reply: Do you hunt with a gun during bow season?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.