Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Farm getting logged >

Farm getting logged

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Farm getting logged

Old 07-18-2007, 04:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Farm getting logged

I wanted to add another thing too, if you have moose in your state those cuttings will draw them in quite quickly. As those saplings start to grow both deer and moose will move in. Also if you find a wide area that has been left cleared in the cutting put some clover in it. The clover will grow pretty good there while you are waiting for the saplings to get bigger. As you know deer will be moving in to help you mow it..

Here is an area that is growing up from the spring and in the fall it will be just as short..All around this area there is twich roads that deer will travel. This is only one of about 8 that has been planted. The deer will travel through different ones and brouse on the clover.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:53 AM

Shed 33...yeah what he said.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

No moose in Illinois unfortunately. I'm sure in the next few years the place will be dynamite It is 200 acres of bottom ground with a creek running right through the middle. I just hope the openness doesn't hurt this first season.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt with a rifle.

Seriously though, the years after timber cutting are usually good ones, lots of browse and lots of bedding.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

I'll echo what others have said. Our lease has been logged 3 separate times over the years. Archery season can be tough because the undergrowth will take off. After the first year though, things will get good. A plus to the undergrowth is that the trails will start to look like highways because the deer will travel down the paths of least resistance.

If you had cottonwoods, there is an added benefit. Morel mushrooms will pop up around the stumps of the cottonwoods. This will last for about 3 years.