Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Switchback XT owners, a question >

Switchback XT owners, a question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Switchback XT owners, a question

Old 07-16-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Switchback XT owners, a question

I have had my Switchback XT for about 10 months. I was looking over it yesterday, and there is a spot on the bottom of the string that is wearing through. When I looked closer, it is a spot that, when at full draw, is setting against a severe curve in the cam (had my wife watch me draw to verify). I don;t mean the cam is bent, just where the string goes aroung the cam is severely curved at that point. I really don't know how to describe it better, but if you guys do not know what I am talking about, maybe I can get picks tonight and post tomorrow.

Question is, is anybody else having this problem, or is it unique to my bow? I know the string is not covered under warranty, but I would still expect it to last a couple of years. Maybe my bow has some other problem that is covered under warranty. I hope to get it to my local shop to have it looked at this week, but I just wanted to know if anyone here has the same issues.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Switchback XT owners, a question

It is not unique to yoru bow. It happens to all cables where they go around a sharp curve in the cam. It creeps the worst there and the serving seaperates the worst there. It's just a pressure point in the cable.

The only way I know to stop this from happening is to purchase a set of Winners Choice strings and cables. They are guaranteed not to creep, strech, or have serving separation for one full year.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had the same problem. If you are like me and shoot frequently, you will go through those strings quickly. I have had mine reserved a couple of times.. Next time it is new strings/cables.
It has to do w/ how the string rolls over the cam when it breaks.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:48 PM

Thanks, guys. I am new to archery. This is my first bow, and last year was my first season to bow hunt (save having an old bear whitetail 2 that the draw length was too long, and taking it out a couple of times several years ago). Just so that I know what to expect, how much should it cost to get the string reserved, Wester MA? Also, Big bulls, what does a set of Winners Choice strings go for?

I do not think the shop that I got the bow from will install anything except what they make in house (that is what some other guys that shop there told me, I have not checked). To have a bow restrung and recables there costs $90-$100. Is tht about right?

Sorry for the newb question. We all start somewhere,
Old 07-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's what a set of Winners Choice will cost you. About $90 for the set andI charge my customers to $15 laborto install a string and cable and set it up like they wish. Plus any aditional string accessories they want.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Spike

If you wax your cable quite frequently, it will help to curb this popular wear area. It won't cure it altogether, but it will help. Maniac