Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting TV show scores a home run! >

Hunting TV show scores a home run!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting TV show scores a home run!

Old 07-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Hunting TV show scores a home run!

After all the threads about poor shot choices out on display, questions revolving around what viewers would really like to see, and even rants aboutreality t.v. making its way into the hunting shows... I watched a t.v. show that I felt absolutely nailed it today!!

I was able to catch Summit's "High Places" show this afternon; for some reason, I mistakenly thought it only appeared on the Men's Channel -- which I don't get. Perhaps it's because I came home a bit earlier than normal today, but when I flipped on the Outdoor Channel, it was just coming on at 5:30 Central time.

Everything that I've wished for in a hunting show was brought together -- good ol' common folk like most of us, chasing free-ranging, fair-chase animals that any of us would be likely to see. Yes, they killed some nice deer -- but you could tell it wasn't a game farm with a parade of P&Y deer waltzing by where the shooter simply "picked one out."

More importantly, I almost stood up and applauded when I saw the "Analyze the Shot" segment following the hunt; this is what generates the most discussion revolving around hunting shows, and it's highlighted on Summit's new show. As I mentioned, today's airing was the first time I've ever been able to catch this show, but they impressed me greatly by discussing a shot that was slightly further back than the hunter intended. It wasn't a poor shot choice by any means; the deer was broadside at 18 yards. The shot was a touch back, though -- and produced a liver hit.

The show uses a version of 3-D autocad software to rotate around a deer model and show the exact entrance and exit holes, as well as the angle of penetration -- and gives a quick anatomy lesson in the process as all the vitals are shown in relation to where the shot hit. Simple, yet ingenious. I've seen an abundance of newer hunters in our sport over the years looking for shot-placement tips on forums like this, and many of those admit they watch these shows looking for advice from the "pros". This feature is sure to be a great benefit to those, and is appreciated by more seasoned hunters like myself who just want the details!

After the hunt aired today, the next segment featured one of the Woller family speaking with the hunter and explaining to the viewers that the shot was back, where it hit, and the reasoning behind backing out and giving the animal time. It was a breath of fresh air after hearing about how so many poor shot choices are glossed over or even ignored. Again, in this segment, it was by no means a poor shot choice, but just a shot that hit a tad back.

Another segment I loved about the show was a feature that was akin to Google Earth, as they zoomed in on the terrain of the hunt -- and explained tactically why they were hunting where they were. Again, I've seen so many responses screaming for hunting shows to do this over the years that I couldn't begin to count.

I for one am going to start setting the recorder so I won't miss any more episodes. Here's a link for more information after I started digging around... http://www.summithighplaces.com/
Old 07-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Bartender

Default RE: Hunting TV show scores a home run!

Greg,

Thanks for sharing I will no doubt check it out sounds like my kind of show.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:56 PM

yeah i watched that show today at the same time actually..
i thought it was awesome.
actually sumthing i like to watch.. unlike those shows that show them go fishing and bird hunting and deer hunting and do it all and try to cram it all in and it doesnt make it much fun to watch.
glad u posted this
Old 07-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a pretty good show. I got to order the outdoor channel tomorrow...ive been putting it off too long!
Old 07-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Was that the show where the kid tried to draw his bow 3 times before he could get it back? He did nail the deer. I'm surprised it hung around that long.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer & Deer Hunting TV is doing the same thing on their show this year. I watched a DVR'd episode the other night, and they did a very good job.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

Deer & Deer Hunting TV is doing the same thing on their show this year. I watched a DVR'd episode the other night, and they did a very good job.
Yes, i noticed that today. There was a kid that arrowed a 174" monster and he was a little quick with the shot and it was a VERY close shot as far as error was concerned. It was a lung shot but it was close. I thought that was awesome to have the 3D deer
Old 07-13-2007, 05:29 AM
Dominant Buck

I watched the show....and thought it was really good.

I also watched Pat Reeves show, last night....and was going to say that it was the best show I'd seen all year....for all the SAME reasons.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:06 AM
Typical Buck

Greg I agree. It was a very good show. Nice to see an 11 year old get excited about shooting a deer.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just got the Outdoor Channel on Monday and caught that same show. I really enjoyed the whole show. I also liked the Deer and Deer Hunting show as the others have mentioned. Both of them analyzing the shot and explaining with the 3d model is great. I think a lot of these shows give a false impression of what is a good shot.

Quick Reply: Hunting TV show scores a home run!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.