Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Blood trailing flashlights >

Blood trailing flashlights

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Blood trailing flashlights

Old 07-09-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Blood trailing flashlights

Sorry if you have seen this before but I have to know if those blue and red L.E.D. flashlights really work. 50 dollars seems pretty reasonable to me if this helps pick up the trail again. I'm on the fence right now about this and would like to hear about any experience you may have had with one of these products.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:26 PM

Default RE: Blood trailing flashlights

I just bought one of the new Gerber Carnivore lights. $70. Unable to find any volunteers to donate blood, I had to settle for some drippings from a package of ribeyes. It made the blood stand out real well (after dark). I'm thinking this could be a real valuable tool to have in your pack.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

For those of you that have SureFire flashlights, you can buy an after-market cover w/ a blue lens, it works great for picking up the blood trail.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

I got an LED head light a couple months ago. Iam also intrested in knowing whether or not it will help me follow a blood trail after dark. It has three different white light settings and then a red light. I assumed the red light would be more for fox and coyote hunting.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've done a whole lot of trailing (hands and knees with flashlight) and I guess anything that would help, even a little would be appreciated. I've been wondering about those lights (looks like blue and red leds). Don't know whether to believe the advertising.

Roskoe, did you compare it to a regular bright flashlight in the dark?

I've also seen that CSI stuff (Blue Star). It seemed stupid at first, but the more I thought about it the more it might pick up small flecks of blood or blood mixed with water (after or during a rain), turning them bright blue. I saw in Sportman's Guide where you could buy 8 tablets to make 32 ounces for $18 bucks. I guess if it picks up small particles it could be good for finding the beginning of a trial and the direction. I might try it.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

it would prolly be cheaper and better to go to radioshack abnd get a few high intensity blue and red LED's and hook them up in an old flashlight with a few 9v batteries.....that would probably be brighter than the ones they sell....
Old 07-09-2007, 08:54 PM

I did compare them. The Carnivore has a bright white light as well as the blood tracker LED. The blood tracker light is no where near as bright, but make the blood really stand out - even at a distance. You could, however, get lost in the woods without the regular light.

The spray sounds intriguing - but it looks like that for blood that is even reasonably fresh, the blood tracker light is going to make it very visible. Actually better than trying to follow a blood trail in daylight.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never used them, never had to, but if it came down to it i definately wouldnt be opposed to trying it out!
Old 07-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Ok bowhunters come on now. Get a regular 9volt big flashlight and trail the deer. If you make a good hit its easy. If need be get a coleman lantern and track the deer. No need for these 50 to 100 dollar lights. I just cant see paying the money for all these expensive lights that wont do any better than a flashlight or a lantern.If your crawling around on the ground searching for blood, then your hit was poor. I mean I track every deer Ive shot and only one has given me trouble finding it, but I still found it with a regular flashlight. I dont know why hunters waste their money on stuff like this. Its foolish. Thats my opinion and Ive tracked many many deer with a regular flashlight. Sorry I guess Im old school...
Old 07-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Spike

i like a propane coleman lantern. i like it because it sends out a large circle of light, not just a beam, also can be set on the ground or hung from a branch to use while taking care of the animal.

Quick Reply: Blood trailing flashlights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.