Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Newbie to Archery, Draw Weight? >

Newbie to Archery, Draw Weight?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Newbie to Archery, Draw Weight?

Old 07-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default Newbie to Archery, Draw Weight?

I've always loved hunting with a rifle but have for a long time planned to get a bow. I've determined what my draw length is and I am somewhat well versed on the different parts of a bow. One question that remains though is that I need to know a draw weight range that I am comfortable with. I am 6' tall and weigh about 180 lbs. I need to find out if I am more comfortable with a 50-60 # range or a 60-70 # range. I'd just like to know what you guys experiences with trying different draw weights have been.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:01 AM

Default RE: Newbie to Archery, Draw Weight?

Chris,
I kind of went thru the same thing. When I first started archery I was shooting around 55 lbs. I am only like 5'9 and 180 lbs. That was really easy and I was comfortable with it. Then I started buying 60-70 lb. bows. I couldnt shoot 70 lbs. I doubt but I would always turn them down to about 60-62 which is fine but there really isnt any point to it.

A 60 lb. bow will do just about anything you want within reason. I think alot of people get to thinking they need all this speed and power and you just dont. Many people try to overdue it and strain to even pull their bow back.

I started buying 60 lb. bows and maxing them out to 61 or so. That feels great to me. Plenty of power and I dont have to struggle at all. I am sure I could shoot more if I wanted to but I would rather be comfortable.

My bow has about 52 lbs. of Kinetic Energy. They say you can get a pass thru on a deer with about 35 lbs. of KE.

Hope this helps. Whatever you get make sure you get one that you are comfortable with and dont have to struggle with

rick

Old 07-07-2007, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go with what feels real comfortable to you. NEVER, EVER let someone tell you that you have to have a high draw weight to cleanly harvest a deer. If you can pull higher weight, go for it. It will have its advantages. Let me tell you, my first ever deer was shot when i was a kid pulling about 42lbs. Arrow went straight through and he died 35 yards later. Trust me..do what is comfortable for you.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:15 AM

well said!

rick
Old 07-07-2007, 09:20 AM

Also keep in mind that if you decide that you want to eventually increase your weight, that if you are shooting everyday you will gain the added strength to increase it if you desire. At least to a certain point. thereare some people i know that will never be able to pull 70 pounds. that's just the way their bodies work. as the others have said it doesn't really matter anyways. My grandfather has killed propably acouple dozen deer with a 40 pound recurve, so i think you would be just fine with a sixty pound compound.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowhunter_42

Also keep in mind that if you decide that you want to eventually increase your weight, that if you are shooting everyday you will gain the added strength to increase it if you desire. At least to a certain point. thereare some people i know that will never be able to pull 70 pounds. that's just the way their bodies work. as the others have said it doesn't really matter anyways. My grandfather has killed propably acouple dozen deer with a 40 pound recurve, so i think you would be just fine with a sixty pound compound.
bowhunter said what i was going to. good point
Old 07-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to an archery shop and shoot the different weights for a while before you make up your mind. Pick out what is comfortable for YOU.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

With today's bows a 60lb draw can handle its own. Look at the BowTech Equalizer. It is a 60lb bow with only 27.5'' DL and shooting over 300FPS.

Since you are 6ft. You should have a good DL, so even with a 60lb bow you would be able to get most of the speed that the bow can produce.

I really don't think that body size has anything to do with draw weight. I've seen guys 1/2 my size shoot 80lb draws with ease. Mine stays set around 67lbs.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:34 PM

i'm 16, 5'9" 125 lbs. I'm drawing 50# (with a 60% let-off bow) For the hunting season, I will put it too 53# or 55#.

Francis
Old 07-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the help guys. I went and shot a few today and forked over what seemed like my life savings lol. I am budget minded (college student), but the PSE Nova S8 Package with a 28" Draw and 60-70 # draw weight is what I chose. I have it at 64 # right now and am very comfortable with it, heck I was comfortable at 70 #'s but 64/65 just felt better. Again, thanks for the help, and I am sure I will be frequenting these forums much more often now!

Quick Reply: Newbie to Archery, Draw Weight?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.