Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Took two years off due to work >

Took two years off due to work

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Took two years off due to work

Old 07-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default Took two years off due to work

I'm back and I'm hungry. My bow was restrung and shooting like s***. I'm going to the shop tomorrow and may just buy a new one!

The bow I have is a 5 year old martin jaguar. What do you think. Trash it or what?

I know it has clearence issues. Perhaps some minor adjustments and she'll be good again?
Old 07-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Took two years off due to work

I would doubt seriously that you NEED a new bow,sounds more like a tuning issue,which you may have on a new bow.

A thread I started a while back may have some pointers on how to get your bow tuned.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2020182

If you WANT a new bow and can AFFORD it,buy it but don't look for excuses to get one.The old ones will do just fine,especially one that is ONLY 5 years old.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh yeah,if you really don't want that old piece of junk anymore,send it my way,I am sure I can find a use for it.[8D]
Old 07-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

I'm suprized. I thought most folks would say get a new one.

I read some of the tuning threads last night and tinkered with the bow today. I shot groups (which I never do) and got the bow to hit nicely on the 2.5" bullseye. I also measured the center of the limb bolts to the string and corrected that. I in creased the spring tension on the rest and moved the rest up a tiny bit. The bolt was not very tight! I bought spray power last night to coat the flecthing and found out I had clearance problems!

Everything looks pretty good but I'm out of space on my sight to shoot any longer than 30 yards. Any idea how I can fix this?

I was really frustrated but now I'm feeling much better about the bow.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would say the rest still isn't level and that might have something to do with you running out of adjustment on the sight.You MIGHT have another set of holes to move the whole sight down and that would give you more adjustment.

A trip to a GOOD shop might yield the results you are looking for.They might find something very simple that needs to be fixed,just ask them to explain what they are doing and why.This will help you learn to do the work for yourself.This might also prevent some frustration.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks. I'm switching shops anyway. This bow has been a head ache too many times.