Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
processing frozen deer >

processing frozen deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

processing frozen deer

Old 12-26-2002, 10:13 PM

Default processing frozen deer

I got a nice doe on x-mas eve and going to check it in tom. The deer is hanging out side and it froze. Temps are in the teens at night and low 30 in the day. After i check it in tom i want to process it. Should i let it thaw out int the garage or cut it up frozen. I know taking the hid of is a little harder frozen but i havent processed one frozen yet have any of u, or do u let it thaw out a little, and if so will it hurt the meat. This will be my first deer i processed. I looked at bone saws and there like $30 is there any thing else i can use? Do u before freezer bags or butcher paper. Thanks
James

Edited by - jamesp59 on 12/26/2002 23:15:43
Old 12-27-2002, 09:30 AM
Kip
Fork Horn

Default RE: processing frozen deer

James, check the thread titled "Processing Frozen Meat". I just bumped it to the top for you.

Old 12-27-2002, 09:34 AM
Kip
Fork Horn

Default RE: processing frozen deer

Forgot about your other questions.
I use a regular hacksaw as my bone saw, works the same, and alot less expensive. If you can, get one thats not painted, it will save you having to contend with paint chips.
Also, I prefer freezer paper to wrap the meat in. Ziplock freezer bags arent bad, if your going to eat the venison soon, and not let it sit in the freezer for an extended length of time.