Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Terrible thing happened tonight...... >

Terrible thing happened tonight......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Terrible thing happened tonight......

Old 12-26-2002, 12:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Terrible thing happened tonight......

This was not good at all. I really let myself down tonight. It's 1:30am now. I just got home from my girlfriends house. On the drive home, I saw a deer, apparently hit by a car, in the middle of the highway. I turned the car around to see if it was a buck or not....I got about 10 feet from the deer, which was not moving, and it blinked at me. I didn't know what to do, I didnt' have my gun or bow with me, because I took everything out earlier today. I couldn't picture myself pulling out a tire iron and hammering on the poor deer. The only thing I could think of was a choke hold, but I wasn't going to go there either. (That would be just plain weird, and I wasn't sure if it would work anyways). I drove as fast as I could to my house, which is about 10 minutes away to call 911. They said they would have somebody go and check on it. Arrrgh, I feel pretty crappy about it. Just one of those things that happens all the time, but you never, and I mean ever, want to see what I saw tonight.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Terrible thing happened tonight......

james,just one of those things.I usually always have some sort of weapon in the car.But in Pa. it is against the law to put a animal down with a weapon ,even a hit terminal case.I survey the situation ,the people around and just run over its head. By law I cant shoot it,but I feel it is more of a sin to let it suffer then take it out.Of course then I utilize it and feed either me or some needy family
Old 12-26-2002, 01:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I keep a razor sharp 7" ka-bar knife under my seat for occations like this. I don't like to cut the throught because it can take a few minutes to die, I normaly stick it behind the shoulder like you would with a hog. Hit the heart and it will die very quickly. I strattled a little buck once to slit the throught, and when I did, it took in a deep breath, I guess it's throught was clogged with blood or something and when I cut it, it could breathe. Like I said I was strattling the deer and then it got up from under me and beat me around for a minute before running about 50 yards in the woods and bleeding to death. Keep it quick and go behind the shoulder.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 12-26-2002, 04:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

James this just shows you have a heart, no one wants an animal to suffer, I don't know what the law is in Va., but if I had something to finish him/her off I would, if not I would have done just what you did.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 12-26-2002, 06:27 AM
JKT

I know how you feel. Years ago when I was stationed in Germany in the army the fellow I was riding with hit a deer. It did't kill it, but it was all messed up. The only thing we had was a tire iron, which I used to finish it. One hit in the head and it was dead, although I did hit it a number of times to be sure. Not a pleasent thing to hear I know. We went to the local Guesthouse(tavern) and told the owner about it and where the deer was. Ten minutes later the deer was back at the Guesthouse being processed,everybody there was tickled to get that much meat free. Don't have any idea how much it weighted, but the deer in Germany are small. We were in a Mercedes, really messed up the front end.
Old 12-26-2002, 06:37 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-26-2002, 06:56 AM

That is a tough situation. I personally haven't had that happen. All the deer I've seen on the road were already dead. But here in Iowa I don't think you're allowed to kill them if you find them alive either. I think you have to call the local sheriff's office and they come out to check it out first. I know you can get a salvage tag and claim a road kill but I don't think you can actually kill it without local LE officers there. I know they will site you for carring a gun or uncased bow in your car. And a knife with a blade over 4 inches long is considered a weapon in this state. So if you had 1 of those under the seat they could get you for carrying a concealed weapon I suppose. Tough senario. No easy answers here. One of my wife's friends is married to a deputy sheriff. I'll ask her today and see what she says. I'll get back to ya later.

KEEP IT LEGAL. KEEP IT SAFE. OR WE MAY NOT GET TO KEEP IT AT ALL.
Old 12-26-2002, 07:39 AM

James
I understand what you went through. The 2nd week in October I was doing some scouting on 1 of our properties. As I was coming out to my vehicle I saw a deer bedded in a field. As I walked closer it tried to get up and then fell back down. When I got close enough I could see it was a buttom buck with 2 legs that had compound fractures. I immediately called the DNR and they said they couldn't get there for a few hours so if I had the means to go ahead and put the deer down. I drove to our cottage 5 minutes away and grabbed a .22. I was able to finally put the deer out of it's misery but I couldn't help but see the pain and terror in it's face. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. The deer just looked at me, breathing heavily, and then had a tear run down from it's eye.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Leads back to "what's illegal isn't necessarily unethical and what's legal isn't necessarily ethical."

I feel the same James, shows the compassion and hunter inside you. We all know for a fact a PETA brainwash wouldn't have even stopped.

<font color=blue>Good Luck and Good Shooting</font id=blue>

<font color=red>Rob</font id=red>
Old 12-26-2002, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

I found a cat one time that had its back legs cut off from being ran over by a train.
It was screaming bloody murder.
No one had the guts to put it out of its misery.
I finally picked up a big stick and hit it over the head, ending its pain.
From then on all my friends called me cat killer.
I told them, at least I had the compassion to end its suffering.

Barile,

The deer with a tear running down its face...
Damn, that would be hard to take.

This thread is somewhat depressing!
Don't get me wrong though, I would end the suffering of any animal.
Our beloved little Dachshund got hit by a car last month.
The next day, we found out he was badly injured and had to put him down. It was heartbreaking.
Hell, if I was badly injured and it looked like I wouldn't recover.
I wouldn't mind taking a bullet to the head myself.
I know it's illegal but it's what I would want.

Sag.

Edited by - Sagittarius on 12/26/2002 10:55:10

Quick Reply: Terrible thing happened tonight......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.