Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting the elusive..........Cottontail?? >

Bowhunting the elusive..........Cottontail??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting the elusive..........Cottontail??

Old 06-30-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Bowhunting the elusive..........Cottontail??

I am proud to announce that I am finally moving back to my home state of Michigan after 1 year in this hell hole (Las Vegas). I have been practicing a ton but haven't shot an animal yet. Anyway, my dad got tranferred back (he is with Ford) so I will heading back in the middle of August. I am not sure if I will be able to hunt deer this year because I need to get my license and tags (if anyone can answer that question that would be great) but I am really intersted in hunting rabbits in the offseason. So how does it work? I mean, do you just need a license and you can just go hunt them? I no you don't need tags or anything but I wan't to make sure I do everything right to hunt them. Thank you guys so much for any info/advice you can give me!
Old 06-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting the elusive..........Cottontail??

I am guessing some kind of sportsmans license or a small game license. I know minnesota all you need is a small game license. Don't know about any regulations on what you can hunt with
Old 06-30-2007, 01:54 PM

In Indiana, all you need is a hunting license (no tags)andthat covers rabbits, squirrels, coons, opossums, skunks, foxes, etc. Pretty much anything that isn't deer is covered under just having a license. There are limits on rabbits though, 5 per day.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:58 PM

If you can hunt rabbits you can hunt deer. You need a small game permit for rabbits and a deer tag for deer, but the restrictions for buying them will be the same pretty much. There is no lottery or anything, just get your deer tag over the counter. If you get multiple permits at the same time they cut you a deal as well. I forget how many and how much though.

Doe tags are a bit different though if you are interested in those. They change the rules on that every couple of years it seems.

Check out michigans DNR page, it will tell you everything you need to know.

Where abouts in MI are you moving back to? Do you have land you can hunt or are you going to try and hunt public land. It is hard to find private land anymore unless you want to lease it, and that is even getting hard from what I understand. At least in southern MI. Up north I don't think it's quite as bad.

Paul
Old 06-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Right up there at the top of the page, right under the Hunting.com logo... See that orange menu bar? Second from the right, it says 'Resources.' Click on that and it'll bring up the resources menu. Second one down the list is 'DNR Listings.' It's got links to the DNR departments in all 50 states and all Canadian Provinces.

I'd trust what the game departments say about their hunting/fishing regs a lot better than I trust the memory capabilities of most of these guys.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Just make sure the bunnies aren't fenced in.

God will kill a kitten for every canned bunny harvested.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

God will kill a kitten for every canned bunny harvested.

Is that a bad thing?
Old 06-30-2007, 03:39 PM

EDIT:Sorry, posted twice.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

If you can hunt rabbits you can hunt deer. You need a small game permit for rabbits and a deer tag for deer, but the restrictions for buying them will be the same pretty much. There is no lottery or anything, just get your deer tag over the counter. If you get multiple permits at the same time they cut you a deal as well. I forget how many and how much though.

Doe tags are a bit different though if you are interested in those. They change the rules on that every couple of years it seems.

Check out michigans DNR page, it will tell you everything you need to know.

Where abouts in MI are you moving back to? Do you have land you can hunt or are you going to try and hunt public land. It is hard to find private land anymore unless you want to lease it, and that is even getting hard from what I understand. At least in southern MI. Up north I don't think it's quite as bad.

Paul
We are going to be staying with my grandparents while wefind a houes.They have a nice big house on a farm in Manchester and have about 25 acres so there is plenty of small game, as well as some big does and a few good bucks. Our house will be within 15 miles of that so most of my hunting will be done in the Manchester/ Chelsea area (Washtenaw County). My uncle lives inChelsea on some land and healso know of some good public land where he has taken some brutes. I am just getting so excited by talking about it. You wouldn't believe how much I miss the good ol' midwest. MI is the greatest state on this planet!!!!!
Old 07-01-2007, 08:38 AM

I live just down the road from you in the Adrain/Blissfield area. You will LOVE hunting here, especially if you have your own land. That is the hardest part around here, finding a place to hunt.

Tons of good pro shops in the area as well.

If you haven't been to Cabela's you gotta go just to check it out.

And I hope you like to fish, you can't throw a rock here without hitting water.

Paul

Quick Reply: Bowhunting the elusive..........Cottontail??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.