Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Way back when...your first bow & arrow? >

Way back when...your first bow & arrow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Way back when...your first bow & arrow?

Old 06-28-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Way back when...your first bow & arrow?

My first bow and arrow story is a heartbreaker.
I was in the third grade and the class did a random gift swap for Christmas. I ended up w/ foaming bubble bath. Who gives foaming bubble bath at a gift swap???
Anyhow, I traded this other kid for the bow & arrow set he received. You remember, the one made of fiberglass w/ little suckertips on the arrows. That's gotta be the trade of a lifetime.
I shot that thing non-stop from the time I got home until time for bed. I think I even shot at the sheep I was counting in my sleep.
Well, I woke up to shattered dreams the next day. Apparently, the kid's parents, who bought the bubble bath, called the teacher in disappointment that she allowed us to trade. And I had to trade it back.
Moral of this story...DON'T EVER SEND YOUR KID TO SCHOOL W/ BUBBLE BATH FOR A GIFT SWAP UNLESS YOU WANT YOUR CHILD TO BE BULLIED FOR THE REST OF HIS SCHOOL DAYS BY THE KID WHO DREW HIS NAME!!!

Old 06-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Way back when...your first bow & arrow?

First?

First was a Red RYder (Little Beaver) set (with suction tips) I got when my dad took me to get my first barber shop haircut.

Next several were pine boughs that I'd notch and "string" wih nylon rope. I could buy arrows for $.30, back then.

I shot a recurve maybe 200 times when I was in high school.....and didn't shoot another bow between ages 17 and 40.....lol.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:05 PM

WOW.......I can't believe you actually told that story....

I remember mine.....I was 12, and it was a Bear Whitetail Hunter. I shot big, heavy Easton Gamegetter 2018's out of that monster......No kidding, the bow was taller than I was at the time.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:12 PM

I don't know the brand but I think I was in 2nd grade when my Dad got me my first bow. It was a compound type right handed that he strung back words. Dang lefty! I still remember shooting that thing until I had broken or lost all the arrows it came with then (buy more & repeat) Man, what an awsome gift that was. I had that bow until about two years ago, I gave it to my Wifes little cousin. The fun continues...
Old 06-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

My grampa made a bow and a couple of arrows and gave it to me for my 3rd birthday. He had to make another bow every six months or so until I was 6. Then he gave me a pocketknife and told me to make my own. Kids could do stuff like that in the 50's.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:13 PM

Mine was a Reflex Bighorn Hunter. Steel cable made for a noisy shot. Shot some 2117's out of it. They were smoking.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had one of those old fiberglass long bows as a kid.

My first hunting bow was a PSE Pacer with gamegetter 2117"s. I bought it when I was 16 or 17. It has the wheels in a bracket and bolted to the limbs.Hunted with it for 2 years, took one shot at a deer. HIT A TREE.

I still have that bow hanging in the basement. Got a few vintage arrows too.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:32 PM
Site Bouncer

I started with a Browning recurve in 1972, I don't remember the model but I loved to shoot that bow.I was7 years old and shot long bows and recurves till I was about 14. I stopped shooting bows all through highschool except for when we would shoot in gym class. I started again when I was in college only this time I was hunting with it. Yep another Browning butnot a traditional bow, it was acompound, the rest is history. I still have a few old long bows and a newerMartin recurve but most "off the shelf"trad bows stack up too much for me to shoot, the Martin is ok but I really need to get one with a longer draw length before it starts to stack.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Dominant Buck

BigJ....PM me if you're interested in maybe getting rid of the Martin.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:44 PM

Ben Pearson Pro for me, 14-years-old. I used to go out in the orange groves and shoot oranges off the trees. I think I shot at squirrels also...don't think I ever hit one.

Quick Reply: Way back when...your first bow & arrow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.