Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone tried this for scent control? >

Anyone tried this for scent control?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone tried this for scent control?

Old 06-28-2007, 05:52 AM

Default Anyone tried this for scent control?

I thinkI'll trysomething different this year. I always store my gear in an airtight container until I get to my hunting spot. Do you think putting cedar chips in the storage container might help.Cedar can be used for odor and moisture absorbtion(pets, golf shoes, etc).
And bucks like rubbing on cedar trees. So why not smell like one?
Any thoughts??? Has anyone tried this?
Old 06-28-2007, 06:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anyone tried this for scent control?

Id say try it, but if you dont have any cedar trewes in your hunting area you may spook the deer. I would use something that is native to your hunting area. Dont use apple if you dont have any apple trees in your area, dont use pine if you dont have pine in your area, you get the picture.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:03 AM

Exactly
You don't want to smell like a pine tree hunting in an oak tree
Old 06-28-2007, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a lot of cedars on my lease and I do use cedar boughs in my camo storage. Has it helped? I have no idea. I'm pretty certain it hasn't hurt and it does smell pleasant so I'll keep doing it.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:06 AM

i would try it in the off season so you don't spook them durring season
Old 06-28-2007, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

The problem is that a whitetails nose is powerful enough to smell the cedar chips and human scent at the same time. Much in the same way drug sniffing dogs can smell drugs through gasoline, coffee, etc....

While tons of companies are profiting off this idea of "cover scents", it's not possible! Believe me when I say - if it was, I'd be all-over-it!
Old 06-28-2007, 07:27 AM

Good idea. Cover scents work well as long as you are scent free. Do not expect it to keep you from having to do your part. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Todd,

That's what I was getting at in the prior scent control thread, but no "experts" chimed in.

Right now I view cover scents as deodorant without the antiperspirant or a French bath.
If you are emitting odor and they come across your trail or the wind isn't right, a mature deer
will pick up that odor, whether you have 31 flavors of scent control or not.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Much in the same way drug sniffing dogs can smell drugs through gasoline, coffee, etc....
Yeah, sort of like when you spray Country Flower air freshener in your bathroom after you use it, and it ends up smelling like someone took a dump in a flowerbed.

I did use the earth scent cover scent last year, and it seemed to work really well for me.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

I have a lot of cedars on my lease and I do use cedar boughs in my camo storage. Has it helped? I have no idea. I'm pretty certain it hasn't hurt and it does smell pleasant so I'll keep doing it.
Bingo. Scent control is much more important than cover scent in my opinion. I don't want a deer to smell MY cover scent...because if he can smell that...then he can probably smell me too. Wash your clothes in scent free stuff.....line dry. Store in bins....and my personal favorite....roll around in some fresh dirt right before hitting the stand. Thats my big secret.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried this for scent control?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.