Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do YOU Age a Buck On The Hoof?? >

How do YOU Age a Buck On The Hoof??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do YOU Age a Buck On The Hoof??

Old 06-23-2007, 04:48 PM

Default How do YOU Age a Buck On The Hoof??

Seen a lot of guys talkingon hereabout aging a buck on the hoofthat can apparently do it. I know the stuff from Dr James Krollsays onTV and just wanting to know how you do it. I shoot for a certain P&Y estimate, not really a certain age animal.

What do you look at or look for and have you been proven correct by a kill and jaw bone?

Old 06-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do YOU Age a Buck On The Hoof??

Ok, I am going to run my a** out on a limb, because no one else has as of yet.

I am speaking of my experience,if you are lucky enough an you see plenty deerin the different age groups itmakes things easier. The body size goes a long ways. My area a 2 1/2 year will way about 150 lbs an a 1 1/2 old will weigh about 115 lbs. The difference between those are pretty obvious. The 1 1/2 has slender neck an shoulders he is not muscledup. The 2 1/2 will have a little larger neck an thicker shoulders an will look heavier when they are standing side by side. The 3 1/2year old will weigh around 175 to 200 lbs. They will be larger in the neck area an shoulder area an will show dominance over most other deer. The4 1/2 will start to get that sagging belly look along with the age in the face an will show true dominance over other deer. My area the 4 1/2 will weigh around 215. The weight areaccording to AGFC officer in my area.

This is just my experince, now let the hacking begin if needed.I find that a deer can go fromabout 6 lbs at birth to weighing 215 lbs in only 4 1/2 yearamazing.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kill him. Then pull a tooth and section it.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:47 PM

ORIGINAL: markj

Seen a lot of guys talkingon hereabout aging a buck on the hoofthat can apparently do it. I know the stuff from Dr James Krollsays onTV and just wanting to know how you do it. I shoot for a certain P&Y estimate, not really a certain age animal.

What do you look at or look for and have you been proven correct by a kill and jaw bone?

Hey Mark...I think it mostly comes from time in the field and experience. I've also watched (and rewatched...) several Deer judging videos. Do a search on "Judging and aging trophy deer". Most include assistance and instruction for both rack size and age. The more entertaining ones let you see the deer for a bit and then pause, allowing you to make your estimates. I can usually get pretty close for a typical rack...obviously nontyps are tougher. But then again, if you have a gnarly, huge nontyp in range who cares to think any further.The knowledgemostly becomes important when hunting where there is a set minimum, either with rack or age or both. You can learn it easily and it becomes second nature.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

I myself try to see how his chest looks. If hes barrell chested hes a goner
Old 06-23-2007, 08:02 PM

Deer bodies age similar to horses and cattle. As they get older their backs start sagging and their belly sags. Also the chest and brisket area fills out.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Review the pics in post 2 of this thread ....

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2161170&mpage=1
Old 06-23-2007, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Shoot and ask questions later"

Honestly, if he's big enough and I want to take him, I will.

Spell check Preach
Old 06-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cougars09
Spell check Preach
oops! Thanx Coug!
Old 06-23-2007, 08:37 PM

What a stud of a deer. I dont see the backswaglike livestockand maybe a little of the belly, but the chest, neck, and overall muscle. And thewidth thicknessof his bodyis very evident. Not to mention that crown!

Thanks for the link. I am going to have to go touch my bow now.

Quick Reply: How do YOU Age a Buck On The Hoof??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.